What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exchanging iPads

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exchanged three iPhones and two iPads under warranty for little defects. I was in and out in 10 minutes, I was genuinely surprised at how easy it was.

IPad 1's are in the zone of warranty expirations right now. I was thinking we could all post about known reasons that an exchange attempt might/would work. Nothing "underhanded" but defects that are negligible but will still get you a shiny new iPad. If this thread gets some responses I'll post the reasons I got exchanges. tried to google a list reasons but nothing came up.

will89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would be interested to know what little defects they will give you a new one for...

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First I did a iPhone 3GS. I dropped it (it was in a case). The screen didn't crack but the display had these weird lines all over it. The warranty was three weeks from expiration so that was very desirable.

Next the same phone. The home button worked but it was "spongy" or something. You had to mash it relatively hard for it work.

Next a three month old iPhone 4. The battery seemed to be discharging too quickly. I ended up getting the same employee who did one of the 3GS's and he was real cool! He did test it for a long time though.

Next a iPad 1. Speaker volume progressively lowering and seemed scratchy. This time he called a higher up and they seemed to debate it. They did it.

Next a iPad 2. Tiny amount of "light bleed". Immediate exchange with no testing. It was barely noticeable too. The employee said he had never heard of the issue but it took five minutes.

Heh, I live 3 miles from a apple store so I drop in fairly often just to browse and soak I'm the atmosphere. I think maybe it helped a bit that they are familiar with me.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just thought to say about the home button issue... Two other people I know succeeded in an exchange for the same. And they didn't really have to mash theirs very hard, they just said it felt spongy. They drew the same employee I mentioned who is very pleasant to deal with.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heh, I just realized I could of just listed all the defects without describing the whole experiences. But I thought it might help to illustrate them so if others have similar relationships with their store it would help.

So...
1. Dropped a 3GS. Screen not cracked but display had lines going across it. The lines were growing as time went by.

2. "Spongy" home button on 3GS replacement above.

3. Battery discharging quicker than when it was first purchased.

4. Speaker sounding scratchy and volume a bit lower than normal.

5. "Light bleed"... Little areas of light showing around border of display.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know we are all staying honest and above board here - we all know what the right thing is to do.

Tim

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting... Well thus far I have not had any issues with any of my apple devices...

I did droped my 3GS which caused the housing to shift a bit... Which lead to the external buttons (power, mute and volume) not working. Quick fix is having a cover that grips the iPhone tight and tada.. It works. My own fault for letting it slip... Will simply wait for the iPhone 5 and get the it when it eventually comes out.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

mrkrabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
while I am all for honesty, handheld devices such as phones qare expected to survive drops of some degree.

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually devices regardless of brand are replaced due to defects, not because they could not survive an accidental drop. And whether a device survives a drop depends on the specifics of the drop and not necessarily the distance to impact.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know we are all staying honest and above board here - we all know what the right thing is to do.

Tim

Yes, of course. But if there is something covered by the warranty that is defective even a little then an exchange is warranted. And perhaps there are things covered that some people may not be aware of yet have these same defects.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Yes, of course. But if there is something covered by the warranty that is defective even a little then an exchange is warranted. And perhaps there are things covered that some people may not be aware of yet have these same defects.

Then you have nothing to worry about, right? You just want to help people, correct? Make sure they are seeing the big picture?

Most reactions

Latest posts