What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exchange Question

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O.k. I am setting up mail on my iPad. Setup my gmail as an IMAP because i don't really use the contacts through it much or the calendar at all. Have my personal email through ISP setup as a pop account. Both of these I can find under the settings, account, advanced there is a 'Remove' and 'Delete from server' area where i can tell it 1 day, 2 days, and so on. I'm a network admin for a small ISP here in Nebraska, so I understand what all of these do. I am usually the one helping someone figure out why they can't see messages on there home computer now that they setup email on the blackberry.

So my problem comes with my work email. We have a MS Exchange server, and I setup my exchange email on my iPad. Now, with my Droid there is an area where u can set when you delete if it deletes it just from the droid, or both the droid and there server. I'm not seeing that option anywhere under setting account. I have email, server, domain, username, password, description, and use SSL.

So, if i delete something, does it delete it just off my iPad, or am I going to have to worry about losing important work emails?

matyd1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fudnock said:
O.k. I am setting up mail on my iPad. Setup my gmail as an IMAP because i don't really use the contacts through it much or the calendar at all. Have my personal email through ISP setup as a pop account. Both of these I can find under the settings, account, advanced there is a 'Remove' and 'Delete from server' area where i can tell it 1 day, 2 days, and so on. I'm a network admin for a small ISP here in Nebraska, so I understand what all of these do. I am usually the one helping someone figure out why they can't see messages on there home computer now that they setup email on the blackberry.

So my problem comes with my work email. We have a MS Exchange server, and I setup my exchange email on my iPad. Now, with my Droid there is an area where u can set when you delete if it deletes it just from the droid, or both the droid and there server. I'm not seeing that option anywhere under setting account. I have email, server, domain, username, password, description, and use SSL.

So, if i delete something, does it delete it just off my iPad, or am I going to have to worry about losing important work emails?

I have 2 pop3 accounts and both are set to delete from the server as well as the iPad. I still have to periodically go in and delete around 60 emails that I've already deleted from my iPad. So I don't know if this function works or if it just doesn't work with cox. I would delete one email and check your email at work to see if this works for you or not. Hope this helps.

OP
F

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The POP3 account works fine. I just am trying to figure out how exchange handles deleting since I see no setting for it, I guess that last sentence would have probably been sufficient rather than the long drawn out story I blabbered on with.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The whole point of using exchange is that it keeps all your inbox and folders on any device you access it in sync, so you delete something and it appears deleted everywhere. There should be no such option as delete on phone only when using an exchange account, I don't really understand why you would want to.

OP
F

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The whole point of using exchange is that it keeps all your inbox and folders on any device you access it in sync, so you delete something and it appears deleted everywhere. There should be no such option as delete on phone only when using an exchange account, I don't really understand why you would want to.

The particular reason i would want to set it up that way is that I would like to sync my Calandar for longer than a week or month back. But you can't select just the calandar for the past year. it does everything. Working for an ISP between customer emails, vendors, interoffice stuff and what not, my exchange file is about 3 gig. The ipad won't hold 3 gig. So, if i could delete it, and have it just delete from my phone, that would be great. But if it removes it from the exchange server, I can't have that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But your ipad will only hold up to 200 emails in your inbox, regardless of how many are on the server. It will only download more if you use a search, or scroll all the way to the bottom and choose load more. That is true of your other folders as well. The iPad will only display the most recent unless you do something to get more. Event then it will not download the whole email until you need it.

Have no fear, you are not going to kill your iPad with extra mail. It won't let you.

And if you need to clear the Inbox without deleting things, you could just move it to another folder. Those folders have to be created elsewhere, on the exchange server, btw.

OP
F

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
But your ipad will only hold up to 200 emails in your inbox, regardless of how many are on the server. It will only download more if you use a search, or scroll all the way to the bottom and choose load more. That is true of your other folders as well. The iPad will only display the most recent unless you do something to get more. Event then it will not download the whole email until you need it.

Have no fear, you are not going to kill your iPad with extra mail. It won't let you.

And if you need to clear the Inbox without deleting things, you could just move it to another folder. Those folders have to be created elsewhere, on the exchange server, btw.

Thanks, I was worried about running out of the much needed space. And I already setup some folders on the exchange server called iPad. Again, thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. The iPad takes advantage of Exchange and IMAP servers to leave most stuff on the server. POP3 is another matter. Wish providers would get with the times an finish phasing that protocol out. It would save a lot of headaches.

cpiguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first question on this forum and I appreciate the help. Is there any way to see more than 30 days of my exchange mail.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try scrolling to the bottom of any folder than has more messages than it will sync. There should be an option to load more messages.

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fudnock said:
The particular reason i would want to set it up that way is that I would like to sync my Calandar for longer than a week or month back. But you can't select just the calandar for the past year. it does everything. Working for an ISP between customer emails, vendors, interoffice stuff and what not, my exchange file is about 3 gig. The ipad won't hold 3 gig. So, if i could delete it, and have it just delete from my phone, that would be great. But if it removes it from the exchange server, I can't have that.

I'm not sure if anyone really answered your original question but either way when you delete an email from your exchange account on the iPad it moves it to the deleted folder on outlook (for example) you have set up at your workstation.you would then have to manually delete it from outlook.... And depending on how you have exchange handling deleted emails it may stay in the server for another designated amount of time for possible recovery if need be.

The iPad acts like the child in this relationship and holds everything the parent says. It may be able to delete stuff but the parent will have the "master" copy so to speak... This by the way pertains to exchange and iPads and iPhones.

jtpryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually, that is not true at all. The point of Exchange is it is a mail server. Anyway, you should be able to set any mobile device to not delete mail from the server. This is exactly how my DroidX is configured. The reason one wants to do this is to keep your messages on the device lean, but still be able to get them on your desktop client. If the iPad cannot do that then it is a missing feature.

-Jim

Most reactions

Latest posts