What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another IFTTT recipe.

IFTTT released an iPhone app that works with the Photos, Reminders, and Contacts apps. I've used this to create a log of completed Reminder tasks in Evernote.

Here is the shared recipe, if you are interested. https://ifttt.com/recipes/104021

It sometimes takes a while to update, but seems to work (eventually) even if tasks are checked off on the iPad. I'm not 100% certain on this, since I installed the app (iPhone version) on my iPad after it did not seem to be working. Later, the tasks I'd checked off on the iPad without the app installed showed up in Evernote.

Anyway, even though it's an iPhone app, it should work on the iPad, with the usual caveats. Here is a screen shot of how the log looks in Evernote.

image-1172103539.jpg

There is a Priority field available as well, but since I don't use Priorities in Reminders I didn't include it.

Addendum:
Using it on both the iPad and iPhone seems to create some duplication. For my purposes, being able to look back to see when I did something, that's not going to matter much. I'm sure I'll know that I didn't do the same task twice at exactly the same date and time. Still, I think I'll delete the IFTTT app off the iPad for now, and see how it goes.

I use my iPhone for Reminders far more often than the iPad; though it's nice to use Reminders on the iPad for reviewing or next to the computer.

Last edited:

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, Mickey330 et al.

I'm an enthusiastic user of Evernote on three different platforms. Recently Everclip on iPad has started to crash seconds after loading. This is the first app to behave like this in the two-and-a-half years I've been iPadding. It's extra annoying because it's an app I use a lot.

Has anyone else had this issue?

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, Mickey330 et al.

I'm an enthusiastic user of Evernote on three different platforms. Recently Everclip on iPad has started to crash seconds after loading. This is the first app to behave like this in the two-and-a-half years I've been iPadding. It's extra annoying because it's an app I use a lot.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Hmm, I haven't heard of any major problems with Everclip. I like it, but don't use it very often. I'll list some common fixes below. If you haven't already tried them, see if they help. If they don't, try deleting and re-downloading Everclip.

Good luck.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you are using evernote on a pc through their website you need to right click on the note you wish to edit and click on the edit link after making changes click done so your changes are recorded.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whee! I've been using Evernote's new Reminder feature - and I'm very pleased with it. Here's Evernote's description of what the new feature does/is for: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/23/evernote-reminders-are-here-on-mac-ios-and-web-2/

Now, before I continue to talk about this - let me tell you one thing: I use my Inbox in the Mail app as an actual inbox. I don't remove the e-mail from the Inbox until I've completed it (whether it's to answer an e-mail, pay a bill, read an article, etc). It's better than any to-do list I can make as I always check my mail and so always see the waiting e-mails.

Yes, there's the Reminders app (which I use a LOT!). But, I do find myself forgetting that reminders are there - even (especially?) after the alert goes off. It's a great tool for short-term stuff (IMNSHO), but not long term. Even with the badge there.

So, here comes Evernote's Reminder feature. With it, you can set timers to be reminded to do "stuff." And, you can set it so that when the reminder is due, your Evernote will send you an e-mail. See where I'm going with this? :)

Here's an example of my use of the Evernote Reminders feature:

I was searching for garage door repair services (don't ask...). I found one I liked and emailed the web site link to myself to do follow up (calling them, getting an appointment, etc). So, now it's in my Inbox for me "to do." Except, now I was to go on holiday and I really didn't want that to sit in my Inbox until I got home. So, I sent my e-mail to Evernote and set a reminder for after I got back from vacation. And yep, the day after I returned, I got an e-mail from my Evernote account.

It sounds a bit convoluted, I know. :) But - this e-mail/Inbox system has worked for me for years. Now, with Evernote reminders, I can ensure I don't forget those all-important reminders and use my Mail Inbox as my, well ... inbox. :)

I'm sure there are other ways to fit this new feature into your work flow. I just wanted to tell you that it works great and the reminder showed up where it was supposed to on the DATE it was supposed to. Very handy feature - especially for those of us who tend to forget a lot.... :)

Marilyn

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.

Though I haven't been using it much, I'm using the Reminders feature similarly, for long term reminders down the road. The most recent, to remind me of the due date of some library books.

freeze1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying out the free version for evernote. I am using it for taking notes only. I did some test notes and noticed it didn't sync to my email notes. Does the free version not do this

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'sync to my email notes'?

If you mean that you've emailed notes to Evernote, and are not seeing them, then be sure to sync Evernote. The notes go to the online site when you email them. They won't show up on the iPad until the next sync. Syncing happens when you open Evernote on the iPad, or force it by tapping the sync icon (the circle/arrow) at the top of the screen.

image-2728448741.jpg

Also, the free version does not store all you notes locally. It needs an internet connection to access older notes that are no longer in the cached. You can add notes anytime, and it will sync them the next time you open it and have an internet connection. The premium subscription lets you keep all or specific notebooks stored locally on the iPad.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received an update for Pocket Informant and note that it has now got a lot of Evernote integration built in........

image-3779553274.jpg

The Archangel

carolstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if I sent this so please bear with me, I am trying to get a receipe in evernote food but it went to evernote, what did I do wrong? Please help again carol

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know if I sent this so please bear with me, I am trying to get a receipe in evernote food but it went to evernote, what did I do wrong? Please help again carol

All Evernote Food notes are included in Evernote, always. It's the main repository of all the Evernote family of apps.

In Evernote Food's settings, you can designate specific tags and/or notebooks to always be included in the Evernote Food app.
image-644982803.jpg
After you make the changes in Evernote Food, go to Evernote and try tagging the recipe note with 'recipe' (or your chosen tag). Or, if you designated a notebook, place the note in that notebook. I use a combination of both methods. Most recipe notes I put in my CookBook notebook, but occasionally I'll want something in a different notebook, say Health, to be a recipe. I use the tag 'recipe' on all my recipes to take care of that.

Last edited:

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi fellow Evernoters

I just updated Evernote on the iPad and now I can't send stuff to it from other apps! That is, pre-update I could make a PDF in Note Taker HD and then do the "Open In" thing and Evernote would be in the list of about 15 apps that I could send the PDF to. Now it ain't.

I tried sending to Evernote from GoodReader, Scanner Pro and Notability as well. Same thing; no Evernote in the "Open In" list. This is a real bummer for me. Yes, I can still email to Evernote, but that will only work when there's wifi around.

Is this the same for other folks?

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you running iOS 6.1.3?

In iOS 5 and earlier there was a limit of 10 apps that would appear in the Open In list. The only permanent cure was to delete unused apps of that used the same file type. Sometimes you could re-add them later, hopefully not bumping the apps you wanted back off the list.

In iOS 6, you get a menu of icons instead. When the first page of icons is full, you should be able to swipe to another page. I don't know how many pages are possible, but if you've got a lot of PDF apps, it's possible you've exceeded the new limit (whatever it might be).

Try deleting apps that you don't use and see if Evernote appears again. You can also try deleting and adding the Evernote app again. I'll add the usual fixes below. You should probably try those first, if you have not already.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions

Latest posts