What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eReader app suggestions?

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I get my iPad, one of the first apps I'm going to get is an eReader. It's a choice between iBooks, the Barnes & Noble app, and the Kindle. I've seen the reviews on YouTube, and I've very strongly leaning towards the iBooks app. To tell you the truth, I've pretty much made my decision towards getting an iBook app. I think it's the best. But I want to know what you guys think.

Reaction score
I use the Kindle app, mainly because it has a larger book selection and it is multi platform. That I own a Kindle may have also factored into my decision.

My main concern with Apple's ebook store is, that any books bought on iBooks can only be opened on Apple devices, whereas Kindle ebooks can be read on pretty much all modern devices.

For digital content, I don't see, why I should restrict myself more then necessary. Ebooks should be independent of the hardware, but iBooks forces you to keep using Apple hardware, if you want to keep access to the files. Hardcover books, paper backs can last decades, ebooks should last even longer. But who knows how the market will look like in 10-15 years. Steve will be gone and their products may not be the best on the market anymore.

My decision was simple, choose the one, which supports most devices, so that I can choose the hardware freely and then read the ebooks on it, it shouldn't be the other way around.

I know that I haven't addressed any of the actual features of the ebook readers, as consider them of secondary importance. But both are good for reading.

Btw. Barnes&Nobles is bankrupt, don't get their app, it has no future.

Last edited:

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You don't have to just get one or the other. You can get the apps for all of them. I have books on different services depending on the price of the book. I use an app called Leatherbound that will search the book title on the different services and come back with the prices. Makes it easy to look them up and get the least expensive one.

And, BTW, it is BORDERS that filed for bankruptcy, not Barnes & Noble.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Kindle app, Nook and iBooks all on my iPad. I use the Kindle the most because it syncs so well between the iPad and iPod touch. I generally compare the prices on books between them before purchasing and the Amazon/kindle usually is lowest. Nice thing about the iPad is not being limited to one source

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They are all free. I have them all and use the one that works best at the moment.

Most of my content is on the Kindle, because I used to own a Kindle. It's also most likely to have the book I'm looking for at the best price.

However I like the way the iBook app works better. So when when a book is available there at comparable price, I get the iBook version. I do all me free books with iBook, because they are ePub, which is the up and coming standard. I also keep most of my pdf books in iBooks, because it's there and it works at least as well as the other pdf readers, if all you want is to read.

I have other's, just in case. The Barnes and Noble reader came in handy when I was trying to find a free version of an older children's text book for a friend. B&N were the only ones to have a version.

Stanza is a catch all for other formats and older DRM books, like eReader and Fictionwise.

One of the beauties of having an iPad instead of an ebook device is that you don't have to 'choose wisely'.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use iBook. It's free and does all what I want. I now kept all my PDFs in iBook. :D

Most reactions