What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

engad:Unlimited data option disappears from iPads,AT&T tells grandfathered customers

zeny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though AT&T's $30 unlimited data plan technically went the way of the dodo back on June 7, the company had assured 3G iPad owners that they'd be entitled to one last hurrah -- buy an iPad prior to the 7th and you'd be allowed to grandfather into the old plan, even if you didn't receive your purchase by the deadline. Problem is, the unlimited plan option finally disappeared off AT&T-connected iPads for the first time today, leaving some of these eligible folks who haven't yet signed up for 3G data in the lurch. Not to worry, though: AT&T says that everyone who's eligible "will be able to select the unlimited plan" and that "details will follow." In other words, we don't know how this is going to work yet, but at least the carrier's aware of the issue. Stay tuned.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my 3G iPad since first release and immediately signed up for the 'unlimited' data plan, so I'm now grandfathered. I don't expect AT&T to honor that plan too much longer anyway.

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I surely thought that in order to continue to be grandfathered you'd have to continue to pay monthly for the unlimited plan; that once you let it go and cancel, you'd no longer be able to sign up for unlimited again.

This makes it sound like those who bought before the cutoff date might always have that option available. That includes me. But it sounds kind of unfair.

OP
Z

zeny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like hose who bought before the cutoff date might always have that option available. It just makes sure that those ordered by 6/7 can still get it. Nothing about if you cancel it.

I surely thought that in order to continue to be grandfathered you'd have to continue to pay monthly for the unlimited plan; that once you let it go and cancel, you'd no longer be able to sign up for unlimited again.

This makes it sound like those who bought before the cutoff date might always have that option available. That includes me. But it sounds kind of unfair.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon has strongly suggested that they are killing their unlimited plans.

packaok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thebudgetgeek.com
Interesting... My wife's iPad arrives tomorrow. It was ordered on June 5th, so she should be grandfathered in. I wonder how we'll sign up for unlimited tomorrow. :confused:

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting... My wife's iPad arrives tomorrow. It was ordered on June 5th, so she should be grandfathered in. I wonder how we'll sign up for unlimited tomorrow. :confused:

Getting mine tomorrow, wondering the same thing.

If anyone gets info, please post for those of us who want to sign up for unlimited.

JoAnne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Getting mine tomorrow, wondering the same thing.

If anyone gets info, please post for those of us who want to sign up for unlimited.

Got mine yesterday and the option to sign up for the Unlimited Plan is not available in the Ipad. I'm trying to get a hold of someone from AT&T to sign me up for the Unlimited Plan, and boy it's a painful process. I've called them for like 6 times already. The phone number that they direct you to is forever on hold. I've been on hold for 3 times and each of those is over an hour wait. So total is almost 4 hrs! I'm still on hold as I type this. :mad:

Apple, you better get a better partner ASAP!

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just read some more accounts of people calling. After a long wait AT&T told them to sign up for the 2G plan and they will change it manually will take about a week. AT&T and BP should merge - that way there will be no question on which is the most screwed up company in the world.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just read some more accounts of people calling. After a long wait AT&T told them to sign up for the 2G plan and they will change it manually will take about a week. AT&T and BP should merge - that way there will be no question on which is the most screwed up company in the world.

Oh yeah, that will go smoothly. Like the iPhone preorders.

packaok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thebudgetgeek.com

Follow-up: I tried to call AT&T last night and waited on hold from 8:45pm until their system dumped me at 10pm. Their call center closes at 10pm Eastern.

Today, my wife called them at 5:15pm. I arrived home from work at 7pm and she was still on hold.

At that time, I read the AT&T support forums and found an important tip: While you are on hold, go ahead and sign up for the 2 GB plan. This will enable them to then switch you over to unlimited during your phone call. Otherwise, if you have to sign up for a plan during the call, they will switch you within 10 business days and you will receive an email confirmation when it happens. If you are already signed up, they switch you then and there to unlimited and you can verify it in your account information.

I held until just after 7:30pm and a very nice CSR picked up. Within 5 minutes, I was switched.

Be patient. With iPhone 4 being released tomorrow, I'm sure that their call center will just get worse and worse over the next few days.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is almost impossible for any company to keep up with the demand we are seeing now. If it is any consolation, the British telecomm companies have annnounce that all of them are going to a 1GB cap on data plans. O2 is the iPhone rep there, and they have a 750MB cap. The experts were not surprised by most of the caps being imposed, but even the companies that could gain a lot of new customers by staying with bigger cap numbers, are going with the same restrictions because they cannot handle the loads.

Most reactions