What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email turned off, email still collects

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I turn off email under settings on either my iPad or iPhone, no email comes in. However, when I turn it back on, all the email has collected and downloads, which I don't want. This can be hundreds of email messages over a period of time. Is there a way I can turn email off and not have it collect to be downloaded next time I turn email back on, or do I have to delete the account (which I'd prefer not to do)? Thanks.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your email service provider stores the email in it's server, it has nothing to do with your device being turned on, if you do not log into your mail account and delete (read) your emails they will remain on the server and when you turn on your mail account in your device it will check for mail and retrieve any unread messages. Sorry

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, but I do download email from the server when I get mail on my other device. Usually I turn off email on my iPhone and use my iPad to download. I would have thought that would take it off the server, no?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is typical behavior for a POP account. Check with your service provider and see if they have an IMAP server (or Exchange). If they do switch both your iPad and computer to that server.

It can be difficult to manage email boxes on multiple devices when you have a POP account.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So maybe I can totally delete my account so it no longer exists, then recreate it when I need it again? Will that do it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at your email settings in your Settings app. I, too, have to deal with a POP account and two iDevices. I usually read my mail on the iPad, but sometimes, I still want to look at it when I'm out and about with the iPhone.

In my POP mail settings, I set it up on the iPad (under advanced) to "Delete from server: When removed from inbox." On the iPhone, I have it to never delete from the server (cause my main management is on the iPad, the phone is for just in case viewing). So, if I read the e-mail on the iPad and then delete it - and do a refresh/fetch mail - I find that that particular mail won't download to my phone later. It's not perfect, because sometimes the sync isn't immediate, but it does help to keep down the repeat e-mail downloads.

Maybe this process will work for you? If it makes sense, give it a try, else, let me know and I'll try to clarify my process better.

Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. Your best bet is to try to see if your provider has an IMAP service. Mine doesn't (TWC Roadrunner), so that's why I had to develope this convoluted process with a POP account....

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look at your email settings in your Settings app. I, too, have to deal with a POP account and two iDevices. I usually read my mail on the iPad, but sometimes, I still want to look at it when I'm out and about with the iPhone.

In my POP mail settings, I set it up on the iPad (under advanced) to "Delete from server: When removed from inbox." On the iPhone, I have it to never delete from the server (cause my main management is on the iPad, the phone is for just in case viewing). So, if I read the e-mail on the iPad and then delete it - and do a refresh/fetch mail - I find that that particular mail won't download to my phone later. It's not perfect, because sometimes the sync isn't immediate, but it does help to keep down the repeat e-mail downloads.

Maybe this process will work for you? If it makes sense, give it a try, else, let me know and I'll try to clarify my process better.

Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. Your best bet is to try to see if your provider has an IMAP service. Mine doesn't (TWC Roadrunner), so that's why I had to develope this convoluted process with a POP account....

I guess I can change to the IMAP server by changing the incoming mail server from pop.1and1.com to IMAP.1and1.com, huh? That should fix it?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts