What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email notification not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Dormer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, set the iPad up and added all my email accounts. All working.

What doesn't happen is a notification of new emails. Once I've opened the email app then gone back to the home screen it does appear but that rather defeats the object! I've checked that the email notification is on in general/setting/sounds but that doesn't work either (I have checked that the audio level is right). Not a terrible problem just niggling. I've been wifi connected not 3G during this process.

Mike

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
It works, the sound however is very low and hard to even detect most of the time. Its one of the things that has bugged me for the last two years on my iPhone.

Come on apple, you let us change ringtones so let us change these alert tones to something that is noticeable.

Also check your email settings and see how often your account email is fetched.
Push means instant(only works for certain types of accounts)
Manual means it only checks when you open the mail app.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the Kindle App,after downloading and installing it I went to the Kindle store to buy some books and every time I tried to move to another page it would not let me,the page was frozen on the home page of the kindle store for books,my only way out was to keep pressing the home button, anyone else having the same problem. If it cannot be fixed its going to be deleted.

Al.

OP
M

Mike Dormer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Mike - problem sorted. And sorry about the oil!

Mike

OP
M

Mike Dormer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mike - problem sorted. Sorry about the oil, let's hope it doesn't make it round the corner!.

Mike

guccifree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning guys - 1st post :) need a bit of help .......... It's to do with the email alert sound. I don't get any notification sound unless I open the email icon and when the mail arrives I get the alert sound ....... How can I get the alert sound or notification display for emails when in another programme ... ..... By the way I only have a gmail account ....... Any tips ..... ... Thanks :D

guccifree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh forgot to add have checked email settings Nd everything is switched on - I also have all the other alert sounds keyboard sounds and all the other alert sounds which come through when in another programme - that sounds a bit confusing doesnt it but I know what I mean lol lol lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Fetch New Data' - how have you got that set? The iPad checks for email as frequently as you've got it set there but, if you open Mail, it checks immediately. So, say, if you'd got it to only check for email every hour and email arrives on your email server within that period, since the iPad hasn't checked, they'll be no email sound.

But, when you open the Mail app, the iPad will immediately check for mail, find the new email and make the email 'sound'. So you might want to set the 'check for email' interval to be shorter. The only downside of doing this is that, when the iPad is put to 'sleep' (but not turned off) it 'wakes up' briefly to check for email at the interval that you've set. So a shorter interval can have an impact on battery life, particularly if you have big emails arriving.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions