What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Attachments ?

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have the iPad2 and very excited with it. But I need to know how to solve the following issue.
I receive an email and the sender told me that reply this email with an attachment. I don't know how to do it. In other devices like Blackberry or Android is very simple to reply a message and attach the files. How can I do to do this in iOS 5.0.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to think opposite with the iPad.

The best way to reply to an e-mail with an attachment is to create a new e-mail from within the app that contains the file you want to attach. Say you want to attach a picture. You go to the Photo app and select the photo you want and then select to e-mail it. Say your comments, address the mail and send it off.

You can also copy the original e-mail and paste it into the body of the message you are sending so you don't lose the chain of thoughts.

Apple has "sandboxed" the apps on the iPad so you can't just browse to a file to attach it. Yes, it's a limitation, but this method should help you get around that. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to Marilyn's great answer, you can put the attachment in the (free) Dropbox App, generate a link to it in the app and just copy paste the link into your reply.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. I believe you can send [up to] 5 photos before you have to have a new e-mail. It's a way to limit the size of the e-mail (limited by Apple).

I don't know if other photo management apps will let you send more than 5 at a time...

Marilyn

P.S. If you we the Dropbox option, you can actually make albums and send only the link to the album. That way, it won't matter how many pics there are ... The e-mail will contain only the one link. The recipient can click on it and then browse your album(s) at leisure.

Last edited:
OP
S

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You have to think opposite with the iPad.

The best way to reply to an e-mail with an attachment is to create a new e-mail from within the app that contains the file you want to attach. Say you want to attach a picture. You go to the Photo app and select the photo you want and then select to e-mail it. Say your comments, address the mail and send it off.

You can also copy the original e-mail and paste it into the body of the message you are sending so you don't lose the chain of thoughts.

Apple has "sandboxed" the apps on the iPad so you can't just browse to a file to attach it. Yes, it's a limitation, but this method should help you get around that. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Hello, thanks for your reply, sorry but this not allow me to send one email with pictures and Pages documents. Copy a message and then put it into the original mail message is 2 operations method, first I need to copy the email address then return to the original mail and copy the body message. Tell me honestly, did you think this is an affordable way to attach docs and pictures in the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is what it is. You can always send two emails. Simple, if not elegant.

This is why many people have taken to storing their documents in the cloud. It's easier to send links than attachments. If you absolutely must send multiple attachments of different kinds in a single email, then you can use GoodReader. The down side is that you must copy all files to GoodReader first (excluding photos, which it can access directly)

For Pages, Box.net is an easier solution that DropBox. It's free account has WebDav access that will let you save your Pages documents directly from the app. GoodReader can be configured to access and download files from many cloud services; including DropBox and Box.net. So though it takes an extra step, it isn't particularly hard.

Yes, this is a pain to set up and do for a single email. But the point is that you don't do it for a single email. You do it for your entire workflow, and once it is set up, and you are used to storing your documents in the cloud by habit, it's quite easy to do.

The benefit is that your documents are suddenly not just on the iPad, but also on any computer that has internet and a web browser. It's not all roses and parades, but thats where the mobile world is heading. It should keep getting better and more convenient as time and competition do their usual thing.

OP
S

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It is what it is. You can always send two emails. Simple, if not elegant.

This is why many people have taken to storing their documents in the cloud. It's easier to send links than attachments. If you absolutely must send multiple attachments of different kinds in a single email, then you can use GoodReader. The down side is that you must copy all files to GoodReader first (excluding photos, which it can access directly)

For Pages, Box.net is an easier solution that DropBox. It's free account has WebDav access that will let you save your Pages documents directly from the app. GoodReader can be configured to access and download files from many cloud services; including DropBox and Box.net. So though it takes an extra step, it isn't particularly hard.

Yes, this is a pain to set up and do for a single email. But the point is that you don't do it for a single email. You do it for your entire workflow, and once it is set up, and you are used to storing your documents in the cloud by habit, it's quite easy to do.

The benefit is that your documents are suddenly not just on the iPad, but also on any computer that has internet and a web browser. It's not all roses and parades, but thats where the mobile world is heading. It should keep getting better and more convenient as time and competition do their usual thing.

Hello, thanks for that. I solve my problems with the idea that you give using Dropbox. Thanks !!!,

Most reactions

Latest posts