What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge of Glass breaking!

swhitford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We purchased an IPad 4 11 days ago and on the 5th day the screen broke up on the edge at exactly the point where the thumb is placed to hold the IPad. The glass broke up with a random crazed pattern and then since has developed 2 longer cracks and now small pieces have fallen out. I have taken the device back to Apple and they despute the fact that the glass was imperfect and that something must have dropped onto it. Nothing has been dropped onto it. They have agreed that it has not been dropped. They will not replace or repair the device under warranty at present. Can you tell me if this is a common fault with the glass?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
swhitford said:
We purchased an IPad 4 11 days ago and on the 5th day the screen broke up on the edge at exactly the point where the thumb is placed to hold the IPad. The glass broke up with a random crazed pattern and then since has developed 2 longer cracks and now small pieces have fallen out. I have taken the device back to Apple and they despute the fact that the glass was imperfect and that something must have dropped onto it. Nothing has been dropped onto it. They have agreed that it has not been dropped. They will not replace or repair the device under warranty at present. Can you tell me if this is a common fault with the glass?

Unfortunately, glass breakage is not covered under the standard warranty. AppleCare+ does cover glass breakage, but it can't be purchased after the damage takes place.
Are you holding the iPad in one hand, with the thumb on the edge of the glass? That may possibly put enough strain on the glass to cause the cracks. The glass may have been defective, but there's no way to prove it. I have not seen any other reports of the glass breaking just by holding the iPad, so it's probably not a common occurrence.

OP
S

swhitford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback on this but i find it hard to believe that holding the device in one hand whilst using the other to operate could put so much pressure on the screen to break it unless there was a previous flaw in the glass. I thought that you could sit on this glass and it wouldnt break. The adverts always show it being held this way. Perhaps I should be taking it up with trading standards??

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

WoW.......that sux.

This is the first I've heard of such an issue........if what you say is 100% true (not doubting, just saying) I would suspect some sort of hairline crack either during shipping or somewhere in the build process.
Your holding it put just enough pressure to cause it to continue cracking.
A drop or something dropped on it will show definite evidence on the surface or surrounding area.

I would stand firm on this.......
Go to another Apple store and/or contact Apple directly.

An iPad should not crack the glass by just holding it during normal use, period.

Last edited:

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very strange...my iPad (2) has received a lot of abuse from my daughter (toddler), and even once it was accidentally dropped (by me in fairness) from 1m to the floor on the street and it only got a bump on the shell. The glass seems to be extremely strong and it doesn't even have a scratch.

I am sorrry to hear that but it sounds like something was faulty in yours.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been pretty rough on my iPads, including dropping iPad 1 on a corner onto a concrete floor, with a ding on the frame to show for it, but have sustained no damage to the glass screens. I've had iPad 1 for more than 2.5 years (that's the one with the ding) and iPad 2 for about 1.5 years. I've dropped both on carpeted floors as well, without screen damage. I have a hard time believing that holding an iPad normally would lead to a cracked screen.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback on this but i find it hard to believe that holding the device in one hand whilst using the other to operate could put so much pressure on the screen to break it unless there was a previous flaw in the glass. I thought that you could sit on this glass and it wouldnt break. The adverts always show it being held this way. Perhaps I should be taking it up with trading standards??

I don't know what kind of glass allows you to sit on it, but I don't think any computer offers such a screen. If that's what you expected, that was a mistaken expectation.

Infinite Jest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you really didn't drop, I wouldn't rest until you have closure. You could try contacting Apple by phone or even the BBB or Consumer Product Safety Commission if need be. In the end, the consumer is always right if there is a legitimate case(usually :p ).

iAmieLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swhitford said:

The same exact thing happened to me with my iPad four and I was devastated. However we always purchase our devices I guess you could say from Best Buy and buy the Best Buy insurance package so it covers everything from lost, stolen, anything we could do to it anything that could happen for two years. Mine broke on the corner right where my thumb goes when I hold it up and it was fine when I put it away and when I opened it was broken and it had shattered and then had two fractures and when I took it in they just took my old one gave me a new one and I walked out the door. They were however very surprised to see that it had cracked and said they had not seen anything like that in all they have sold I was the first person with this problem for what it's worth. Sorry for your poor iPad though. :0(

andytvcams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try speaking to Apple UK.they may well try to fob you off but tell them your next phone call will be to trading standards as they have sold you a product not fit for purpose.

Most reactions

Latest posts