What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eBook reading software for the disabled

Kapperkiwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi \
My mum has used her ipad for a couple of years but suffered a massive stroke last year. She is now paralyzed on her left side and finds that she turns multiple pages to many times in iBooks and her hand often trails along the bottom of the ipad and ends up zooming to the last page or first page.
Is there any eBook reader that allows u just to have one part of the screen (at the top preferably) that moves forward one page and only one page

Cheers
Andrew

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...I am wondering if you can go to your settings--general---assesibility---assistive touch.

From there you can adjust the tracking speed using an adaptive device like a joystick attached to the iPad to help turn pages. Might want to google BIGTrack TrackBall By info grip---...this may be helpful in looking at as well.

Or, have you tried using a keyboard for your mom to just press the page down or up button?

You can also create custom gestures with 2,3,4 5 fingers to tap or drag with the assistive touch function on.

I am sure others may have other options as well.

OP
K

Kapperkiwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
She only has one hand so another device like a track ball or keyboard isn't really an option and a complicated gesture won't work either .. it is that we need less functionality than more .. her hand drifts to the bottom of the page and suddenly she is at the beginning or the end of the book

Most frustrating for her and those that love her!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
She only has one hand so another device like a track ball or keyboard isn't really an option and a complicated gesture won't work either .. it is that we need less functionality than more .. her hand drifts to the bottom of the page and suddenly she is at the beginning or the end of the book

Most frustrating for her and those that love her!

I completely understand the frustration for your family. I will continue to try to research this. I wasn't sure of the level of severity your mother's CVA entailed. Based on your initial post, it sounded as if she had partial function at least. There has to be something that can be done to slow down the track speed of the device. Will keep you posted as to what we find and/or other options.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the app MegaReader ($1.99, USD). its an ePub reader that can read [only] DRM-free ePub books. unfortunately, it means that it can't read ebooks purchased from iBooks (as they have DRM installed by Apple). However, there are many free books available and MegaReader comes per-installed with many free book sites per-loaded. See this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339360565.269027.jpg

It is a simple matter to browse to the site and then download the book(s) for reading. MegaReader also has iTunes File Sharing, so you can drag and drop any DRM-free ebook into iTunes for later syncing with the app/iPad.

But, I don't bring this app up for that. Here is a screen shot of the settings within the app:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339360971.932762.jpg

As you can see, you can set up [many] "tap zones" so that only a little bit of the screen will react to a touch. it's the only reading app I've seen so far with such a fine level of tapping customization. Oh, and one of the options you can select is to "do nothing" for a tap...

So, yeah, you can't read DRM books on it, which, again, leaves out any iBooks, Kindle books, etc. And, it only reads ePub versions. But, it might be worth it to try, especially if you have Calibre (a free book management software that will allow you to convert ebooks to the ePub format). Maybe try this one?

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn--I could just hug you right now--I hope these tap options can be the solution for OP's Mom!

I'd been researching this topic--along with another Super Moderator, Gabriel1-and we came back to the options of :
--wireless keyboard with arrow commands to page back or fwd
--adaptive device such as a stylus attached to the wrist

So hopefully all of these suggestions can help your mom.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thought this may be of interest iOS will introduce Guided Access including the ability to restrict touch input to certain areas of the screen.

Apple - iOS 6 Preview

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts