What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Book Sales Soar as Traditional Book Sales Decline

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iBooks_update.JPG

Engadget reports today on figures published by the Association of American Publishers (AAP) which show that sales of e-books and downloaded audiobooks continue to grow. According to the report, US sales of e-books generated approximately $90.3 million in revenue in February, which was triple the figure reported in January. During the same period, the sales of printed books fell by 34 percent. This marks a growth of 202.3 percent for e-books compared to February 2010. The report also shows that for February 2011, e-books ranked as the #1 format among all categories of Trade publishing, which includes books for both adults and children. AAP puts this February surge down to strong post-holiday e-book buying from those who got book readers and iPads as presents.

"The February results reflect two core facts: people love books and publishers actively serve readers wherever they are. The public is embracing the breadth and variety of reading choices available to them. They have made e-Books permanent additions to their lifestyle while maintaining interest in print format books." Tom Allen, President and Chief Executive Officer of AAP.

Source: E-book sales triple year-over-year, paper books decline in every category -- Engadget

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doubtful, ebooks are a lot more expensive,. and a rip off imo.

Iamdcfierce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love reading e-books, sometimes I read on my Kindle and sometimes on my iPad

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry guys but all my books are ebooks now because I have an attic full of paper books and lugging them to another house just does not appeal to me! In my experience, ebooks aren't expensive if you look around all the sites but I have to say Amazon Kindle tends to be the best price.

Reaction score
I am mostly buying ebooks, too. During the past year 23, compared to 5 normal books.

Ebooks are more convenient and easier to travel. The last time I moved overseas, most of my books got left behind, due to space and transportation issues, so I now buy primarily ebooks, they can always come with me.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do love the convenience of ebooks, I have them on my ipad. I just dont think it could rival the sales of books in papers. I dont quite understand why ebooks has to be priced more than papers.:confused:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I expect the price of ebooks will come down, the more people buy them. How else can you carry 1000's of books in your hand. This was the one biggest selling factor for me buying the iPad, oh, and the fact that I could read it! iPod Touch's are a tad too small for my older eyes!

Reaction score
j0yful said:
I do love the convenience of ebooks, I have them on my ipad. I just dont think it could rival the sales of books in papers. I dont quite understand why ebooks has to be priced more than papers.:confused:

It depends on where you live.

For example in Germany, there is a very nasty little thing called 'book price control'. It was all worked out before the ebooks, but essentially what it does, is that it forces the book prices to be at a certain level and all same books, but in different medium need to have the same price. It would be illegal for a publishing house to offer an ebook for less than a paperback.

Luckily most English speaking countries have more lax book regulations.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful said:
It depends on where you live.

For example in Germany, there is a very nasty little thing called 'book price control'. It was all worked out before the ebooks, but essentially what it does, is that it forces the book prices to be at a certain level and all same books, but in different medium need to have the same price. It would be illegal for a publishing house to offer an ebook for less than a paperback.

Luckily most English speaking countries have more lax book regulations.

I forgot the geographical factor. Mind you, books in China (yes! in English) are way cheaper than down here! lol

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I expect the price of ebooks will come down, the more people buy them. How else can you carry 1000's of books in your hand. This was the one biggest selling factor for me buying the iPad, oh, and the fact that I could read it! iPod Touch's are a tad too small for my older eyes!

I would think it is because lots of current authors are still on older style contracts. Also, there is obviously still a market for hard copies so it isn't in the book publishing and selling industry interests to kill off those overnight with a pricing war, empty shops, unemployed staff and millions upon millions of unsold books! A paper book has a cost wether it be the first or the millionth whereas an electronic book has no cost after the initial writing and files have been created, therefore once that is recouped all of the value is profit split between author, publisher and vendor. At present they are "making hay whilst the sun shines". It's only a matter of time until they realise that the public aren't quite as stupid as they think we are!

The Archangel

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, ebooks are way more storable and for that reason I changed from paper. The problem with them is no electricity no reading. Long term may also be problematic, ebooks bought on iBooks can't be transferred to another device as far as I'm aware which locks you to Apple if you continue to use iBooks for your purchases.

The expense of ebooks over their paper counterparts, I believe, is down to publishers trying to protect their revenue and DRM issues. They're trying to dissuade you from buying them by making them more expensive, but that's my opinion.

I believe the iPad and the likes of the kindle are changing the way we store and read, the only problem as I've mentioned, is their reliance on a charged battery, for this reason I can't see them replacing paper altogether.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I would think it is because lots of current authors are still on older style contracts. Also, there is obviously still a market for hard copies so it isn't in the book publishing and selling industry interests to kill off those overnight with a pricing war, empty shops, unemployed staff and millions upon millions of unsold books! A paper book has a cost wether it be the first or the millionth whereas an electronic book has no cost after the initial writing and files have been created, therefore once that is recouped all of the value is profit split between author, publisher and vendor. At present they are "making hay whilst the sun shines". It's only a matter of time until they realise that the public aren't quite as stupid as they think we are!

The Archangel

True! I wouldn't want the authors to lose money. Unfortunately, the publishing industry always wins in the end but I see some authors put a book online for free thereby getting recognition so we, the public, want more. Maybe that's the way it will go? What are your thoughts on this?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But then, if you are talking electricity, paper books are reliant on that as well, and the way our world is going, fossil fuels will be gone and no-one has come up with a cheap way of producing electricity. I digress, sorry.

Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
True! I wouldn't want the authors to lose money. Unfortunately, the publishing industry always wins in the end but I see some authors put a book online for free thereby getting recognition so we, the public, want more. Maybe that's the way it will go? What are your thoughts on this?

I hope it doesn't go down that route.

If would mean that every author has to publish at least one good book for free and the author would also need an equivalent or better follow-up book.

With that many good free books available, perhaps few would be willing to pay for books anymore. And I think it would be very hard for the authors. Do you work hard to release something for free? But if you don't release a magnificent book, then people won't buy your other paid books later on.

Most reactions