What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dvd transfer to ipad

donrougvie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2 but no other computer. I want to transfer my huge dvd collection into itunes but obviously need both hardware and software. Can anyone suggest where I go with this please?

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if you can do that even with a pc mate. I'd like info on this too

Sent from my iPad 3

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
D

dvdcatalyst

Does not put them on the iPad though. Just allows you to watch them straight from the DVD. I would not recommend putting your entire movie collection onto an iPad as you would run plain run out of space.

If you convert your DVDs, they don't take up that much space, about 1-1.5GB or so, but if you don't have a computer to do it with, there are not that many options to watch a movie from DVD on an iPad, let alone copy one over from DVD to an iPad.

Another option would be for the OP to take his collection to Walmart and use their Video transfer service to turn them all into VuDu (VUDU - Setup iPad) Digital Copies (VUDU - Disc to Digital), but at that point, it would be easier and cheaper to just get a $300 PC from the electronics department, and use that to convert the DVDs to iPad format.

But considering that the smarthub sells for about $40 (Amazon.com: Samsung SE-208BW optical SmartHub Wi-Fi streamer for USB Storage and DVD/CD: Computers & Accessories) it does provide a good solution for what the OP is asking for at a very reasonable price.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dvdcatalyst said:
If you convert your DVDs, they don't take up that much space, about 1-1.5GB or so,

Sure, but if you have a whole collection as the OP mentioned, it would fill up pretty quick, even on a 64gb. Without a PC, Mac or NAS they have no way of storing these long term, swapping out to the iPad for viewing.

D

dvdcatalyst

True. You would need something like a WiDrive or a GoFlex WiFi to go along with it if you were able to save the movies.

But the whole scenario is a bit unusual.

Basically the answer to the OP question should be "a computer".

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dvdcatalyst said:
True. You would need something like a WiDrive or a GoFlex WiFi to go along with it if you were able to save the movies.

But the whole scenario is a bit unusual.

Basically the answer to the OP question should be "a computer".

Agreed. The portable drives are handy, I have a WiDrive but have not used it much. Will come in handy for traveling.

I couldn't own an iPad without a PC or Mac to backup to and manage my large music library.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donrougvie said:
Could i not store the dvd collection in iCloud?

I think that would be possible if you had a large account. But how would you get your DVDs converted to the Cloud? I think what you are thinking of doing is to create your own Netflix or Hulu app. What is being proposed by others is that part of your requirement...to get your DVD collection to the iPad WITHOUT a computer.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donrougvie said:

I don't think you can just put anything in iCloud. The free space is only 5gb, you would have to pay for extra.

Dropbox you can put anything, there are ways to get more space for free before you need to pay for a larger account.

But, how do you get the DVD ripped to a cloud storage account? You need a PC or Mac.

D

dvdcatalyst

As mentioned, you have to have a way to get them in there, which takes you back to needing a computer, or, for the sake of mentioning it as part of the conversation, use the iPad camera to record your movies while you play them on a TV and use your iPad to upload them. Not a good solution, but it would work I guess.

Say that 1 movie would take up 1GB on iCloud, you could store 5 movies on it for free.

5GB of free storage is plenty for most people. But if you need extra space, you can always buy additional storage.

Additional Storage Price
10GB

$20/year

15GB total iCloud storage

20GB

$40/year

25GB total iCloud storage

50GB

$100/year

55GB total iCloud storage

Apple - iCloud

If you want to store 55 movies on it, you are looking at $100/year.

You could use DropBox, which gives you 100GB (100 movies) for $100, or 500GB for $499

https://www.dropbox.com/upgrade

No matter how you look at it, your best option would be to get a computer to do the job for you.

example:

HP 6910P Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, Combo, Windows XP Pro 14.1 Notebook (Off Lease) (Refurbished) at TigerDirect.com

$233

comes with a 160GB harddrive, so you can store at least 100 movies on it.

Add another $90 for an external 1TB drive

Western Digital WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN Elements External Hard Drive - 1TB, USB 2.0, Black at TigerDirect.com

and for about $350 with shipping, you have enough space for 1100 movies, without a yearly fee.

D

dvdcatalyst

Amazon.com: Samsung SE-208BW optical SmartHub Wi-Fi streamer for USB Storage and DVD/CD: Computers & Accessories

When it first came out it earlier this year, it was selling for about 150, which was a bit much, but after noticing it was now selling for only $40 when I pulled the link for my reply earlier in this thread, I decided to order one.

Of course it doesn't actually rip your DVD to a file you can store on your iPad, but after a bit of a battle setting it up, is to connect it to your network, and with an app on your iOS or Android device, you can access it.

I haven't put it through a full test yet, but after I got it up and running, I used it wirelessly with my laptop (iSCSI) to convert a DVD with DVD Catalyst, and last night I watched a (store-bought) DVD movie on my Kindle Fire with it.

How it works is really simple (again, the setup is a bit of a battle). You just insert a DVD in it, and then start the app on your tablet and watch the DVD.

Aside from that, it also has a USB port you can use for harddrives/usb sticks, and have it stream video files, it has build-in samba and ftp servers, but I have not gotten to that just yet.

The fact that you can just open the drive, insert a DVD and watch it on your tablet is pretty cool though.

Most reactions

Latest posts