What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD rip to iPad

Gixxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all - first post here so be gentle.

I'm looking for advice on ripping DVDs (both 'normal' and blu-ray) onto the iPad. I'm currently running WinXP on my laptop.

I've read a few posts and people seem to suggest quite a few different programs, but being new to the iPad world i'm not sure which is most popular?

I've also seen it mentioned that some programs can split a movie into numerous chunks - is it possible to avoid this?

I'm happy to pay a few ££/$$ for the program if it'll actually do what i'm after, so what do people suggest? I assume these programs just work by creating a file which the iPad recognises, and then you just add it to the iTunes library..?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

OP
G

Gixxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply, i'm ripping a standard DVD as we speak. It currently states and ETA of about 10 hours and an fps rate of 4-5fps - is that standard...?

My laptop is 4 or 5 years old now mind you, so could just be that.

bpatsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gixxer, let me know how it works please, I am interested in the same use for the ipad.

OP
G

Gixxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll let you know how i get on as/when/if it works. I'm not the most technically gifted of people but will give it a whirl.

OP
G

Gixxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a rip using handbrake and the start was just a green screen, it also stopped after it had ripped 21 mins.

I downloaded the trial of Cucusoft's DVD to ipad converter and that's worked a treat.

chall5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was in the same position a few weeks ago, I tried Handbrake but it takes waaaay too long so I'm using DVD Catalyst Free Plus iPad (tools4movies.com) now which is much faster

There is a free version available but its only £3.90 or so to register and get the paid version which lets you control the bitrate/quality. It can convert to .mp4 from a DVD or from a file such as an .mpg

The developer is also very good at responding to support emails

Don't think it will do Blu-Rays though, you may have to get the more fully featured DVD Catalyst 3 for those

Last edited:

Guntherm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was in the same position a few weeks ago, I tried Handbrake but it takes waaaay too long so I'm using DVD Catalyst Free Plus iPad (tools4movies.com) now which is much faster

There is a free version available but its only £3.90 or so to register and get the paid version which lets you control the bitrate/quality. It can convert to .mp4 from a DVD or from a file such as an .mpg

The developer is also very good at responding to support emails

Don't think it will do Blu-Rays though, you may have to get the more fully featured DVD Catalyst 3 for those

Catalyst 3 Does not do Blue-ray movies. However There is several flavors of Cataylst 3.

Catalyst Free (it's free)
Catalyst Free Plus (4.95)
Catalyst (9.95)

All will convert for iPad, but the differance gets to options, and speed of conversion.

Try the Catalyst Free for iPad, and if you liek it, bump it up to Full Cataylst for more options, and a fast ripping time.

ocuriel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as i type im in the process of ripping a DVD using FormatFactory. I will post my findings as soon as its done...

Time wise its at 35% with an elapsed time of 28 minutes. fairly quick from what i see.

Guntherm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as i type im in the process of ripping a DVD using FormatFactory. I will post my findings as soon as its done...

Time wise its at 35% with an elapsed time of 28 minutes. fairly quick from what i see.

That seems pretty slow to myself. However it will depend on your system you are using to Rip a DVD. Mine takes about 20-35 minutes to Rip DVD back to iTunes.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Format Factory to turn my video files into iPad compatible files, and Daniusoft's DVD to iPad Converter to rip and convert protected DVDs.

Pop57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do any of these play full screen with no lose of picture ie cropping

Most reactions