What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

During a flight?

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With no wifi connectivity available on the vast majority of flights, what are you guys doing on your iPads during the flight? Games? E-books? Listening to music? Thanks!

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before the flight, open all your news apps. The current news will be loaded and available for off line reading. That's what I do.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Taylork1 said:
Before the flight, open all your news apps. The current news will be loaded and available for off line reading. That's what I do.

Yep. That's the smart thing to do and I've done it as well.

I've even used my iPad on a Greyhound BUS. That's even LESS room than on a jet. I first moved to a netbook (Sony Vaio P530-H, and I really miss it because it's just such a great little machine-awesome keyboard and even more gorgeous-albeit small-screen) because hauling around my 15" HP TX2525nr Tablet PC in my ambulance during hours of stand-by time sitting in the rig was getting to be a chore. That's not speaking of having to plug it in after a couple of hours. That got old pretty quick but...what could I do? Fortunately, the ambulance has AC sockets all over the place. Sometimes I'd go into the hospital into one of the quiet, unused, isolated waiting areas near nuclear medicine and plug in there and do my thing. The Tablet PC (true WACOM, which is why I haven't gotten rid of it) was good for using as a slat doing crosswords, written notes, drawings, etc. But it's HEAVY and runs HOT. I figured to get a netbook because I use such a computer in keyboard mode anyway. So I got the Sony. Though overpriced, I think it's THE best rebook out there. THAT, with its extended battery, gave me up to 4-5 hours of run time, which was great. And it was small, very easy to hold, about a half pound in weight and was just a gorgeous piece of equipment (metallic red and silver!). I was able to get comfortable with it just about anywhere. Still had to plug it after a while, of course. And, as with the Tablet PC, I was limited to Wi-Fi (I had a MiFi card at the time, though).

All that changed when the iPad came out and I got my hands on one. I sold my Sony Vaio and haven't looked back since. The iPad has been SO useful in the field as well as in my home. Built in 3G has been so sweet, too.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With no wifi connectivity available on the vast majority of flights, what are you guys doing on your iPads during the flight? Games? E-books? Listening to music? Thanks!
Yes to all of those...plus (depending on the length of the flight) we usually rent a couple of movies. You have to be careful though...a couple have had some brief scenes involving folks in their birthday suits. That tends to slow the flight attendants down as they pass by. :eek: I like to listen to audio books as well. Angry Birds probably gets the biggest workout however. :rolleyes:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found that I use my iPad more waiting for the flight than on the flight itself, mainly because the airlines I travel on offer in-seat entertainment which is more than enough to keep me occupied.

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Games. I started playing Angry Birds upside down to mix it up on the longer flights.

-Mike

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have atomic web browser. It let's you save website pages for offline viewing.
Have a read of some tech reviews, then watch a film, or read a book.
Possibly a bit of fruit ninja or cut the rope. Not angry birds though. I'd prefer not to shout at my iPad whilst on a flight!

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not yet used my iPad on a plane, but I have used in on trains and a bus. On the bus, I had wifi! On the train, I read and played games.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I play games or listen to music when i'm on the flight or check the todo list i need to have done before i go home for the night ..

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fly Delta! Many of their US domestic flights have WiFi on board and the speed isn't too shabby all things considered!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read mostly, upload newspapers and news apps, e-mail updates. Anything I can upload before a trip that doesn't access wi-fi though I do use my iPhone 3GS to update if I need maps etc... Films, music. I just love my iPad xxxx

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Movies when I'm not connected, but lately I've been paying for Gogo-inflight, and if you have a multi-leg trip, you can get both (or more) segment connectivity for $12 (instead of paying for $10 for each flight).

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who rent movies for in flight entertainment:

1) which provider do you rent from?
2) how much iPad space does a movie rent require, if at all?
3) what's a typical cost nowadays?
4) how do you return once done?

Occasionally I do 12 hour flight, and I need to be able to rent and return from another country, etc. Have never rented a movie online...

Reaction score
SYS said:
For those who rent movies for in flight entertainment:

1) which provider do you rent from?
2) how much iPad space does a movie rent require, if at all?
3) what's a typical cost nowadays?
4) how do you return once done?

Occasionally I do 12 hour flight, and I need to be able to rent and return from another country, etc. Have never rented a movie online...

1) One simple option is to rent a movie from iTunes.
2) A typical SD movie takes up 1,5GB, an HD movie up to 3GB.
3)The costs vary between 0.99 and 4.99.
4)There is no return, as the file becomes unreadable after 48h of first opening it.

Most reactions

Latest posts