What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb noob questions

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, first post. Disclaimer: I am more familiar with Android (I have an Evo 4G) but the company made me get an iPad 2 (I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth though, so even though I'd rather have a Xoom, I'm not complaining too much about it).

Anyways, I've been using it for a few days, but have some questions that I think I already know the answer to but would like to verify:

• Is there really only one signature for all your email accounts? The company makes me use a signature, but I don't want that showing up on all my personal emails (like my gmail and yahoo accounts) as well. As it is, everytime I compose a personal mail I have to delete the signature. If this is the case, is there an alternate email app available that would support this (or simply give the option to save the signature and insert it manually like I can in Outlook)?
  • I don't like the keyboard at all. I'd say it's safe to say I despise it. A search in the app store makes me think there are no alternative keyboards available. Just want to verify since I'm used to having a few dozen different options on my Android phone....would really love a Swype or Swiftkey option, but I don't believe that's possible. Again, just want to verify I'm stuck with the stock keyboard.
  • When editing text, how do I place the cursor where I want? I can only get it to select an entire word, which is annoying if I just want to change one character in a long word that I've made a typo in.
  • Is there a better way to navigate the app store? For example, if I am looking at the games category, there are about 10,000 apps, but I can't figure out how to jump to the middle:I have to page one page at at time. This is particular frustrating if I am just browsing and I find something to install on page 75...after choosing it to install, it jumps me back to page 1 again. I am probably missing something.
  • As long as I'm talking about the app store, is there a way to sort by rating? Or just view free apps?
  • Can I get my Facebook contacts and calendar to sync up? Right now it's only doing my email accounts, and I hate missing 80% of my stuff (I primarily use Facebook to maintain contacts and my calendar).

Thanks for your help. I have a couple developer questions (my boss wants me to start learning how to develop apps) but I'll post those in the right forum.

EDIT: Just realized there's a separate iPad 2 forum. Maybe this should be moved there...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only thing I can really help with is Swype approached Apple with their product and Apple turned them down. Don't know officially why but having tried Swype I would not want it on my iPad. I use Ultra keyboard ,SlideIt or ShapeWriter on my Incredible.
I've never tried to change my signature so I'm not sure on that.
There are some Faecebook apps but I use Friendly. One thing that may be a workaround if none of the apps work is TextNow,a free text app, enable push on it and set up your Facebook to notify whatever you want via SMS to your TextNow #
I totally agree the Android market blows away the Apple app store for ease of search.
A bit off topic but, Amazon has an app store app for Android that is even easier to use than the Android market and to promote it they are offering a normally paid app a day for free
I am an Android lover and can honestly say I'm glad I didn't get a Xoom. It's just not ready for prime time imo

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Welcome to the iPad world!

Here a few answer:

For setting the cursor location in a text, simply touch and hold where you want to cursor to be. Then a magnifying glass will appear above your finger letting you see where the cursor is. Then, simply move around while still touching the screen, the cursor will follow.

In the app store, if you want to be able to filter by category, rating, etc... You have to do a search. I know, it should have been in the categories, but anyway, it's available. For example, search for email, then you will have a screen with iPad and iPhone results. Look at the top, you have several options like by device, by category, by rating, etc... Also, just above the results, on the right, you have another option for sorting.

For keyboard options, you're stuck. But you can get an external keyboard if you prefer. But give it a try, it took me a few days to get comfortable with apple's way for input, but I got the hang of it quite fast. And since I speak French, I need some special keys and it really works well. One tip I learned a few weeks ago is that if you swipe-up the key ",", you'll have the " ' “ automatically without switching the keys.

VicoPad addict!

OP
E

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some Faecebook apps but I use Friendly.

Thanks, I'm using Friendly as well, so glad I made a good decision there. Still doesn't seem to sync up contacts or calendar with the iPad though :(

Welcome to the iPad world!
For setting the cursor location in a text, simply touch and hold where you want to cursor to be. Then a magnifying glass will appear above your finger letting you see where the cursor is. Then, simply move around while still touching the screen, the cursor will follow.

In the app store, if you want to be able to filter by category, rating, etc... You have to do a search. I know, it should have been in the categories, but anyway, it's available. For example, search for email, then you will have a screen with iPad and iPhone results. Look at the top, you have several options like by device, by category, by rating, etc... Also, just above the results, on the right, you have another option for sorting.

For keyboard options, you're stuck. But you can get an external keyboard if you prefer. But give it a try, it took me a few days to get comfortable with apple's way for input, but I got the hang of it quite fast. And since I speak French, I need some special keys and it really works well. One tip I learned a few weeks ago is that if you swipe-up the key ",", you'll have the " ' “ automatically without switching the keys.

VicoPad addict!

Thanks. Cursor trick works will....that was killing me.

The sorting trick is also working....no way to jump to a specific page though, right? With 10,000 games (for example), I can't jump the middle and have to scroll 500 times or so?

Also sucks about the keyboard, but thanks for the swipe-up commands.

Reaction score
Found MailSig lite on the market,oops I mean app store.the full version is $4.99 but the lite is free
That allows different signatures for different email/accounts. Not embedded in the account but it's a work around

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
EvilMonkey said:

The sorting trick is also working....no way to jump to a specific page though, right? With 10,000 games (for example), I can't jump the middle and have to scroll 500 times or so?

Haven't found a way to do it :(. But you can use some apps that let you see what's new and free in the app store...

Also, i've found out that most popular apps are also the best one, so I kind of figured out that if an old app is not popular, it is surely not that good. But it would be nice to scroll thru the list a little easier.

And I agree with you that when installing an app, the list goes back to the top instead of remembering where you were...

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I used to use appbrain.com a lot, before the Market got much better. The site appshopper.com does much the same for the App Store.

Most reactions