What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual-purpose laptop/iPad backpack?

po96od

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, if what I'm looking for exists. Specifically, I'm looking for a backpack with a dual-purpose laptop/iPad padded compartment. I'm imagining basically a standard internal laptop sleeve, but with a simple fabric pouch on the inside of the sleeve, sized for an iPad. That way the iPad would be protected by the padding, but held secure against your back instead of flopping around in an oversized laptop compartment, and of course you could use the same bag to carry your laptop when called for.

Ideally, for me at least, this would be a medium-sized backpack (20-30 liter), and stylistically low key (or at least available in basic black).

If this doesn't exist, well hey backpack makers, the time has come. Even aside from iPads, the market's about to be flooded with all kinds of tablets, and not everyone is going to want to rock a man purse. ;) Not to mention that some people frequently carry a backpack's worth of possessions, particularly those of us who frequently take planes, trains and buses.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used iPads in laptop backpacks, and for the most part, they don't really "flop around" when it's in the sleeve. (But I also have a separate neoprene sleeve for my iPad, which allows me to carry both together in any kind of bag with relative comfort and protection.)

Reaction score
The TransAlpine 25 backpack doesn't have two sleeves, but I use it everyday on a bike with an iPad, or a laptop, or both together.

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/Bike/All_Bike/deuter_Trans_Alpine_26_SL/18/

It has one smaller compartment, which fits a 13" laptop, or an iPad. The iPad is not held super tight, but never felt that it flops around either.
When carrying both, I put the iPad in the smaller compartment and the laptop just in the main compartment. Due to the adjustable straps of the backpack, you can tighten the sides, so that even when the laptop is in the main compartment, it won't move a bit.

Added bonus: There are elastic straps on the front, which will hold a helmet securely.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot this - I have a backpack with a double laptop sleeve, which is the minimalist Swiss-designed QWSTION backpack. I'm not currently using it, which is why it slipped my mind earlier.

QWS-BP-2.jpg

QWS-BP-3.jpg

You can actually see the double sleeves in the second picture - if you look closely, there's a laptop sitting inside the bigger sleeve.

I ordered this one from Koyono - QWSTION Minimal One Day Carry-On Laptop Backpack, although they only have it in midnight blue and grey. For more info and pictures (or other colours), you can also visit QWSTION the norm - home.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a really cool, minimalist bag when you see it in person. The downside to the QWSTION is because it has limited distribution outside Europe, you do tend to pay a premium for the item.

I originally ordered it from another vendor (wejetset.com) which charged slightly less than Koyono - but they incurred a four-week delay on me by marking it as "shipped" when they were out of stock and backordered, so I cancelled with them and bought from Koyono instead (from whom I've bought other things before.)

xaggie95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eagle Creek Hitch

I've gone through a lot of bags. I've found that this serves my needs to carry my ipad and 13in laptop if I need to travel with it. It not very large, but packs a punch.

Most reactions

Latest posts