What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drop-down list for ipad numbers.

7x7fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought a IPad. I'm hopping to use it with my kinder report card that uses drop-down list to put into cells (numbers app). I was wondering if I bought a Mac with IWorks and used the drop-down format in numbers. Than e-mailed the file and retreived it on my IPad if it would work???. I realy like the IPad's multi-touch screen. I have a tablet PC that already uses the Excel version with drop-down list and it works great. I have to use a stylus instead of touch. My Excel card uses a assesment sheet that teachers fill out on each student and automaticly fill in the report card for them using calulation formulas. All the teacher has to do is type in comments. Last year the dist. wanted teachers to fill out another paper sheet that basicly had the same info. So made the assesment records fill this out also. If the teachers didn't have enough stress during report card time. Its amazing in this age how much duplication we do. I beleive the IPad if this will work will do the trick and save lots of time. Teachers can do the assessment anywhere they choose without being tied to a computer or paper doc.

If any one would like to do me a favor and e-mail me a numbers file with a drop-down list. I could test it out on my IPad. I would aperciate it!!!

Thanks all
Merle

Ben Culbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I came across your question and was wondering - Have you been able to find ANY ipad app that supports a dropdown list? I've tried Docs to Go and Numbers and both will not support my drop downs in Excel....frustrating

OP

7x7fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drop Down lists

I have read that IWORK Numbers can do drop down lists. I don't have a MAC to try this out. I asked a teacher with a powermac,I hooked up to the to the wireless web at school to let me know if she would create a drop down list in Numbers. She didn't have IWORK on her powermac but her husband was a mac guy. Haven't heard anything from her yet. I have googled the inter net on drop down lists in Numbers and it looks like it is posible. The IPad Numbers doesn't have the function to do this. If I get some one to email me a drop down list in a cell from a mac. I can see if the IPad numbers program will do it. This will be sweet. I already have drop down list in Excel but when I brought it into the IPad the function doesn't work. I've been waiting for a PC slate (with multi finger) that will run Win7 but I know HP and Dell gave up on it. I realy don't care what OS, I just need the multi touch like IPad to use with my Excel drop down elem. report card. I have it working on a tablet PC now but when I bought my wife a IPad for her birthday in Jul. and watch how slick it work I've been hot to move my kindergarten report card to the IPad. Sorry for long words. I beleive if a drop down list is created in IWORK Numbers on a MAC emailed to your IPad might work. I don't have a MAC. I just might have to get one to try it!!!:confused:

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Numbers on my iPad. Exchanging, importing and exporting to and from PC and mac is easy on the iPad, especially when wirelessly syncing through Apple's MobileMe iDisk.

iWork_news.png

The 4.1 update added additional functionality to iWork apps on the iPad.

apple.com/mobileme said:
With the latest Keynote, Pages and Numbers for iPad, you can now transfer your documents directly to and from your MobileMe iDisk so you can work on them anywhere you have an Internet connection. For example, create a new Pages document on your iPad and copy it directly to your iDisk. Then, when you are back at your Mac, open the document from iDisk and continue editing right where you left off.

If you're working from a Windows PC, access your iDisk with a browser at me.com/idisk and upload an existing Microsoft Office document. Copy the document into Keynote, Pages or Numbers on your iPad to view it or make edits. When you've finished working on the document, copy it back to your iDisk as either an iWork, Microsoft Office or PDF file.

You can purchase Keynote, Pages and Numbers for iPad from the App Store. If you already have the apps, just open the App Store and tap Updates to download the latest version and take advantage of iDisk support.

Link: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/news/2010/09/iwork-for-ipad-apps-now-support-mobileme-idisk.html

For answers to questions regarding Numbers, Pages, or Keynote on iPad, visit: http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan727163ed

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Numbers on my iPad. Exchanging, importing and exporting to and from PC and mac is easy on the iPad, especially when wirelessly syncing through Apple's MobileMe iDisk.

But have you created a drop down list in iPad's Numbers app? I tried importing from my Excel file to both Numbers and DocsToGo and neither translated the drop down list.

Hope the OP finds a solution and posts it here. Using that file was the whole reason I bought Numbers.

soniablue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I even tried creating a Numbers document on my Mac with drop-downs and transferring it to the iPad. No luck with the drop-down.

Has anyone tried using Google Docs on the iPad? I'd love to be able to use my iPad to quickly grade the 460 students I see...:(

Msingle243

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been trying to something similar myself. I work in a hospital and need to be able to quickly select cells and have a drop down list for a limited number of variables, eg. room, bed number, diagnosis. Can't seem to to this on iPad. Will try in google docs and if success I will post. If you have figured it out please share :)

Charlesfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have tried all of the spreadsheets available on the ipad (at least the major ones) and none of them seem to have this functionality. Most dont even handle fractions. My opinion is you will need a simple database written in something like Filemaker Pro to do what you want.

bigal080

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to come into this so late, but I just purchased an Ipad and I was wondering if anyone found a spreadsheet for the ipad that supports drop down? I followed the treads, but I want to know if the iworks worked on the ipad?

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing yet that supports this. For the life of me I can't understand why not, it is such a terrific way to take advantage of the small screen real estate we have to endure. It's really annoying that one of the most important business tools, the spreadsheet, is in fact so totally useless on the iPhone/iPad.

It's doubly vexing as for years I had this capability with Spread CE on PPCs!

Cheers,

Last edited:

nimmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just joined the forum to get an answer to drop down lists on the ipad.
I haven't bought one yet as I have been searching the internet for the last few months to see if anyone has come up with a solution for drop down lists.
Numbers on the mac does not support this either by the way, as i have tried to import my excel spreadsheet with the drop down, but it is not recognized.

If someone can help , there will be a lot of happy people out there:)

tsmyth2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drop-down on ipad

I have explored this capability exhaustively (I think) with no solution:

Drop down lists apparently do not work on the iPad.

1.created on iWork - Pages - to iPad Pages
2. created on iwork - Numbers - to iPad Numbers
3. created in Word 2008 - to iPad QuickOffice
4. created in Excel 2008 nd 2011 - to iPad QuickOffice
5. created in Google Docs - to iPad - Google Docs.
5. saved using variations of word and excel to Google docs

Shared files via Dropbox, iDisk, MobielMe, Google docs, etc.

No dice.

The only potential solution is Google forms and spreadsheets, but there seems to be limited capability to edit and customize the form for my purposes.

If anyone finds a way to use drop-down on the ipad, please post here.

Thanks!

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Charlesfreeman said:
Unfortunately, I have tried all of the spreadsheets available on the ipad (at least the major ones) and none of them seem to have this functionality. Most dont even handle fractions. My opinion is you will need a simple database written in something like Filemaker Pro to do what you want.

Yes. FM Pro on Mac or windows and then FileMaker Go on iPad and or iPhone. If need be the record or records you are browsing could then be sent as an excel file directly from FileMaker Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

RayOSun22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have explored this capability exhaustively (I think) with no solution:

Drop down lists apparently do not work on the iPad.

1.created on iWork - Pages - to iPad Pages
2. created on iwork - Numbers - to iPad Numbers
3. created in Word 2008 - to iPad QuickOffice
4. created in Excel 2008 nd 2011 - to iPad QuickOffice
5. created in Google Docs - to iPad - Google Docs.
5. saved using variations of word and excel to Google docs

Shared files via Dropbox, iDisk, MobielMe, Google docs, etc.

No dice.

The only potential solution is Google forms and spreadsheets, but there seems to be limited capability to edit and customize the form for my purposes.
If anyone finds a way to use drop-down on the ipad, please post here.

Thanks!

I have not tried my Mac to my iPad yet BUT there IS a way to make drop down menus on the numbers app for iPad.

1) click on cell
2) click on paint brush symbol in top right corner
3) click on FORMAT tab (far right tab, you'll also see Tables, Headers, Cells next to it)
4) click on Pop-Up Menu
5) Add and Edit Away!!

Hope this helps y'all, I know it just made my life easier!

Most reactions

Latest posts