What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving through Mexico

Shinkyo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm about to buy an ipad, and I'm wondering what would be the best carrier in Mexico? and will I b eable to use it as a gps?
Thanks Guys!

Patspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe you can connect using a prepaid Telcel sim card and I think you have to trim it to make it fit. I have the Motion X GPS service and they don't have maps for Mexico as yet. I used the built in map app while on a bus with wifi near Guanajuato last month and it gave me my location but if you want a real turn by turn GPS, I don't know of one that would work.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shinkyo, The 3G Ipad Can Be Used As A GPS

But has some limits like patspad stated above. I'm hoping someone from Mexico can advise you on specifics on how to get a sim card for your iPad. I believe that Apple has set up agreements with each country's major carrier(s) for cellphone service to serve the iPad. In some countries like Canada, I think you have more than one carrier. Mexico might be similar. In the USA, we only have one choice so far.

With a 3G iPad you can get at the very least an idea of where you are. I also use MotionXGPS. This is a paid app but worth it.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a screen shot from MotionXGPS

Of the city of Mexico. If I was there, I would be able to find the street of my location. Note: I am not trying to sell you on this app. It is a good and SO easy to use app. So far I have not seen anyone else recommend another app, except maybe Google Map app.

a9bdabae.png

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
In some countries like Canada, I think you have more than one carrier.

For the sake of the archive, I'd like to comment that you're quite correct. Telus, Bell and Rogers all sell official iPad plans, and for subscribers based in Saskatchewan, SaskTel has a "tablet plan" that doesn't mention the iPad but is clearly designed for it and for future similar machines (and roams with no surcharge on Bell's and Telus' network in the rest of Canada).

Choice is good!

My guess is that more than one Mexican carrier will be usable with the iPad. PrePaidGSM.net will probably have info - it has an active forum about prepaid mobile telephony options and a good database of regional offerings. (I'm a happy user, and have no professional involvement in the site.)

Most reactions

Latest posts