What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading to dropbox

Glevy28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have dropbox installed on my iPad and when I download files from the Internet (for example zotero), it allows me to save it only to dropbox. The problem is that I cant install it from there on the iPad.
Gal

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have dropbox installed on my iPad and when I download files from the Internet (for example zotero), it allows me to save it only to dropbox. The problem is that I cant install it from there on the iPad.
Gal

what type of files are you trying to "install"? you can only install apps from the app store.....or cydia if jailbroken.

But I think you may want to look at "papers" from the app store or there's a browser based solution but I haven't used it.
https://help.wizfolio.com/Contents/iPAD.aspx

Or the Mozilla plugin for zotero for tablets
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion...to-work-with-tablet-ipad-android-tablets-etc/

Last edited:

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that once synced to drop box, the files ARE on your iPad. I don't know if that is what you mean when you say "installed", but they are at least available to view. From there, drop box allows you to use other compatible apps to view or edit.

My understanding is the same as OUTL4W....you cannot install an app from dropbox or anywhere other than the apple app store (unless jailbroken).

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only files that you mark as favorites (star) are stored locally on the iPad. Otherwise it downloads them each time you select the file.
Perhaps I marked some as favorites without knowing, but I was able to look at some dropbox files without being connected to the internet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only files that you mark as favorites (star) are stored locally on the iPad. Otherwise it downloads them each time you select the file.
Perhaps I marked some as favorites without knowing, but I was able to look at some dropbox files without being connected to the internet.

Sorry, I deleted my response when I realized I didn't really know what I was talking about.

From my limited testing DropBox does not seem to sync everything, but it does retain files once they've been downloaded once. Whether it is just a cache of recent files, or permanent, I have no idea.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dropbox will keep some recently used files cached locally for immediate access. There is a preference setting for how much storage it will use for these cached files. This is eventually purged and I don't know how long they stay in local storage, but its a very useful feature.

If you make the file a favorite it will be stored on your iPad permanently regardless of this recently accessed setting.

-t

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dropbox will keep some recently used files cached locally for immediate access. There is a preference setting for how much storage it will use for these cached files. This is eventually purged and I don't know how long they stay in local storage, but its a very useful feature.

If you make the file a favorite it will be stored on your iPad permanently regardless of this recently accessed setting.

-t
Good to know these details, thanks

OP
G

Glevy28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all of these responses. I've meanwhile been advised to install Zotfile on my laptop, so I could use my zotero files simultaneously on the iPad. I'm still trying to figure out how it works. Still, thanks for your helpful comments.

Most reactions