What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading movie- taking forever

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my ipad2 is taking forever to download a movie from itunes? I estimate it's been going about 8 hrs so far and it's still only about half way through. First one I've tried so don't have anything to measure it against. At this rate i'm going to have to plan my movie viewing several days ahead! Not sure of our broadband speed - I know it's not terrific but even so it surely shouldn't take this long...Can anyone help?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 2Mbps broadband and it takes overnight at least! If it's a long movie or HD this is about right!

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Hilsroo - welcome to the forum! :)

Downloading huge files can be a pain - I come from the days of many years using dialup!

I'm using Road Runner and just tested my broadband speed over Wi-Fi - 15.3 Mbps (or about 1.9 Megabytes/sec). I've downloaded (rentals) only a few films from iTunes at the moment, one was Tangled - looking on their website, the SD version is listed as 1.5 GB, while the HD one is 3.2 GB, so as discussed by Tim, those are large files that might take a while w/ a slow connection.

You might want to test your connection speed (plenty of places on the web to google- I used Road Runner's test in my area); also check to see how many devices/people are 'sharing' that broadband connection which can really drop your download rate; finally, what is the maximum speed protocol of your router, i.e. 802.11b only or do you have g/n? Huge difference in Wi-Fi bandwidth between these standards. Good luck.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree on checking your connection speed. I rented a movie (about 1.5 GB in SD) from iTunes today and it downloaded in about 50 minutes.

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked our broadband speed and discovered it's a paltry 728 kbps...now I understand why there's a campaign locally to try and get faster broadband speeds! I think regular downloading of movies will have to wait till that day arrives...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just checked our broadband speed and discovered it's a paltry 728 kbps...now I understand why there's a campaign locally to try and get faster broadband speeds! I think regular downloading of movies will have to wait till that day arrives...

Oh BOY, you are quite slow - sorry :( Well not sure which ISP you are using or if you're hooked to a slow router, but some things to check as mentioned in my previous post. Since you are using an iPad your 'fastest' connection would be Wi-Fi, so another option I guess would be to try to connect to a much faster Wi-Fi option than your current one, if that is a possibility? Otherwise, you'll have to wait for a faster connection. Good luck - :)

wakk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can any one help me. I can't download film out of the iTunes store.

Most reactions

Latest posts