What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading ebooks

susib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased some books from Waterstones.com. They are in ePub format. I've tried to download them into iTunes but nothing happens. When I hit the download button, it gives me options to open with and I choose iTunes. I then click on ok, iTunes opens but there is no sign of the books. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Sue

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You say you chose iTunes, iBooks supports ePub! Not sure what you mean? Could you explain in more detail.
I put ePub manually into books section of iTunes and if that doesn't work, I copy them into my iPad apps section where the apps that have books are found. Right click the Waterstones?, app and copy into there! Not sure if that helps but if not get back to us.
Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I went the the site, to check out what they support. As near as I can tell they do not support iBooks, nor do they mention the iPad

Waterstone eBooks FAQ

Waterstones.com needs either something that will read Adobe Digital Editions, or one of the Sony eReaders. If there are other options, I'm not aware of them.

See this ongoing discussion of Adobe Digital Editions on the iPad for ideas on how to read your book on the iPad.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/54311-problems-reading-adobe-digital-edition-ebook.html

Last edited:
OP
S

susib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I purchased the books and clicked on download it defaults to reader library (on my pc) . However there is an option to choose what programme to download with and iTunes is one of them. When I synchronise my iPad there is a folder for books within iTunes and that's where the books in iPad are synchronised to.

I have emailed waterstones to see if they can shed any light on the matter.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most likely it is because Windows suggests programs to open with files based on the file's extension; ePub in this case. iBooks can read ePub which is why Windows will show it as an option; however iTunes can not open the iBook because it has an incompatible from of DRM, so it can't list the title or book cover which are contained in the book's data.

OP
S

susib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried it. Doesn't work. I can move the book over to the ipad but it doesn't open. Waterstones have told me their books aren't compatible for ipad at the moment. Which is a bit stupid as they have an ipad app!

Most reactions

Latest posts