What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

downloading cloud files to ipad??

dcb3354

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to store movies in the cloud and when on the road use my ipad to download only certain movie files from my cloud and not an entire folder. I only have 16 gb so i need to watch some, delete them and download some more. I don't see how i can do selective syncing of particular files with dropbox, googledrive, or anything else i have seen. Any ideas? Also don't want to have my home desktop on while im away so this leaves out Teamviewer, etc.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With Dropbox at least, your files stay in the cloud until you need to use them, then they copy to your device.

Maybe for movies, a better option would be a portable wifi drive like the Seagate Goflex Satellite or Kingston Wi Drive, CloudFTP, etc. The plus of these over cloud storage is you have the movies with you, whereas with the cloud, you have to wait for the movie to download to your iPad before playing, and that would be slow, and expensive depending on your connection. To get any decent space on the cloud will cost your $$$, although you would have to buy one of the above devices. The other plus for the portable drives is that you do not need a Internet or wifi connection, just turn it on and go!

OP
D

dcb3354

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.... are you familiar with google drive? i.e. it seems that all files on google drive automatically download to my ipad as soon as i turn it on :( Am i missing something or is there a way to prevent downloading until I choose?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dcb3354 said:
Thanks for your reply.... are you familiar with google drive? i.e. it seems that all files on google drive automatically download to my ipad as soon as i turn it on :( Am i missing something or is there a way to prevent downloading until I choose?

No, I've never used Google Drive. Someone may be able to comment further. I have just installed it, seems very similar to the Dropbox set-up. Can you tell me what you are seeing that leads you to the conclusion that it is automatically downloading? It seems you have to mark each file to be available offline just like Dropbox. It should not be "physically" moving files to your iPad, it is just showing you a list of all the files on folders within your Google Drive.

Most reactions