What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloaded IOS 8.4.1 by mistake

Snufty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to have downloaded IOS 8.4.1 somehow without noticing. I have however not installed it yet and do not want to do so. It is just sitting there taking up a lot of space and recently my language learning apps are crashing all the time. Can I safely delete IOS 8.4.1 without any problems and do you think my learning apps might then show improved performance? I am currently running Version 7.1.2 and it always worked just fine for me up until recently.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to have downloaded IOS 8.4.1 somehow without noticing. I have however not installed it yet and do not want to do so. It is just sitting there taking up a lot of space and recently my language learning apps are crashing all the time. Can I safely delete IOS 8.4.1 without any problems and do you think my learning apps might then show improved performance? I am currently running Version 7.1.2 and it always worked just fine for me up until recently.
If you go to Settings>General>Usage and scroll down the list of apps, you'll come to the downloaded iOS 8.4.1 file. To delete the uninstalled file, swipe it to the left to reveal the delete button. Tap the delete button and the file will be deleted from your iPad.
It's unlikely that the iOS 8.4.1 file has anything to do with your crashing learning apps, though. How much storage do you have available? Having very little available storage can cause problems with the performance of the iPad.

OP
S

Snufty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to Settings>General>Usage and scroll down the list of apps, you'll come to the downloaded iOS 8.4.1 file. To delete the uninstalled file, swipe it to the left to reveal the delete button. Tap the delete button and the file will be deleted from your iPad.
It's unlikely that the iOS 8.4.1 file has anything to do with your crashing learning apps, though. How much storage do you have available? Having very little available storage can cause problems with the performance of the iPad.
Thank you Scifan57. I have deleted as you suggested. I now see I have 5.5Gb of storage available (was 4.7 before the deletion) so I don't think lack of space can be the reason for the problem with my language learning apps. However, I will test them out again over the next couple of days and see if there is any improvement.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Scifan57. I have deleted as you suggested. I now see I have 5.5Gb of storage available (was 4.7 before the deletion) so I don't think lack of space can be the reason for the problem with my language learning apps. However, I will test them out again over the next couple of days and see if there is any improvement.
Thanks for the update. Let us know how the testing goes.

BTW, the reason the update was downloaded to your iPad in the first place was that the download is automatic if the iPad is connected to WiFi, connected to the charger, and locked. The installation itself is always done manually.

OP
S

Snufty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no joy with the language learning apps, I'm afraid. Anki will not load at all and FluentU crashes all the time. Just as well that I can do my learning on my desktop PC too, but it is handy to be able to use the IPad on some occasions. Thanks for explaining how the download of the update came about in the first place.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the iOS on your iPad has become corrupted somehow. Try erasing your iPad and setting it up as a new device without using a backup and see if the problem still persists.

OP
S

Snufty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't feel confident enough to do that! I guess I will just restrict the language learning to my practice on the desktop PC. The IPad works fine for browsing etc so it's not a train smash. Thank you very much for your assistance.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Genius Bar at an Apple Store would be able to help you with a restore and maybe even find a way to get those apps to work without a full restore.

OP
S

Snufty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether we have such a thing as a Genius Bar down here on the tip of Africa (just outside Port Elizabeth, South Africa is where I am) but I think I have seen an Apple Store in one of the malls in town. My IPad came originally from Singapore and was given to me by my son who works there. I will make a plan to phone the store and see if they think they can assist.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All Apple Stores have a Genius Bar and are the best place to go for a free diagnostic. It's recommended that you book ahead as available appointments tend to fill up quickly.

Edit: South Africa has no official Apple Stores but does have Premium Resellers. The one you're probably thinking about is called the Apple iStore. They should have the equivalent of a Genius Bar.

Most reactions

Latest posts