What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download limited

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanhdao said:
When download on 3G there are the limit of 20mb. How can i increase the limit?

AT&T controls this....that is the limit by default so as not to hog up the bandwith. Not sure if it can be raised individually...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a limit imposed by Apple. It used to be 10 MB but last year they increased it to 20 MB. There is no way to change it. I agree, it's very frustrating. I have an 'all you can eat' (unlimited) 3G plan. My DSL connection is poor because I live in a remote rural area but there's a 3G basestation offering HSDPA (so-called 3.5G) just on the hill opposite me. But, because of the silly 20 MB limit, I have to struggle to download movies over my poor broadband connection.

Unfortunately users cannot change the limit. Let's hope Apple moves into the 21st century soon....

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a limit imposed by Apple. It used to be 10 MB but last year they increased it to 20 MB. There is no way to change it. I agree, it's very frustrating. I have an 'all you can eat' (unlimited) 3G plan. My DSL connection is poor because I live in a remote rural area but there's a 3G basestation offering HSDPA (so-called 3.5G) just on the hill opposite me. But, because of the silly 20 MB limit, I have to struggle to download movies over my poor broadband connection.

Unfortunately users cannot change the limit. Let's hope Apple moves into the 21st century soon....

Tim

I think Apple does this in concert with carriers, to keep users from overtaxing carrier capacity. If Apple didn't, there probably would be even fewer unlimited data plans than there are now, or data prices would've been significantly higher. There probably also would be more unhappy users as increased data use gummed up the works overall.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Wow, limited to 20mb downloads and no SMS. I haven't received my pad yet but it certainly seems that it's more restrictive than I anticipated. Oh well...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Wow, limited to 20mb downloads and no SMS. I haven't received my pad yet but it certainly seems that it's more restrictive than I anticipated. Oh well...

At least one app (Talkatone) offers SMS. There probably are others. I don't use SMS, so I never looked.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

I think Apple does this in concert with carriers, to keep users from overtaxing carrier capacity. If Apple didn't, there probably would be even fewer unlimited data plans than there are now, or data prices would've been significantly higher. There probably also would be more unhappy users as increased data use gummed up the works overall.

I've heard this argument before but I don't understand it really. By far the majority of plans are capacity limited so, for sure, it shouldn't apply to them. For those that are limited, it's like selling you a car that can do 150 mph and then telling you they've fitted a restrictor so that it can, in reality, only do 30 mph. And it's surprising, too, because not all apps are limited in this way. I listen to TuneIn, the Internet radio app, and that can stream from 3G all day and I can - and have - used far more than 20 MB listening to the radio.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

I've heard this argument before but I don't understand it really. By far the majority of plans are capacity limited so, for sure, it shouldn't apply to them. For those that are limited, it's like selling you a car that can do 150 mph and then telling you they've fitted a restrictor so that it can, in reality, only do 30 mph. And it's surprising, too, because not all apps are limited in this way. I listen to TuneIn, the Internet radio app, and that can stream from 3G all day and I can - and have - used far more than 20 MB listening to the radio.

Tim

Even data plans with a cap are limited to the 20 MB at a time, though. If everyone even with a low-end plan like 250 MB used 250 MB at a time, that probably would gum things up, too.

I'm guessing that some apps squeak by unnoticed or without murmur, but if Apple or a carrier needed to, they'd crack down further.

I would love a higher MB cap, too. I have unlimited, so I'd be using even more 3G for downloads.

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Canada we have 200mb data plans and 5 gb data plans. We have data caps on our home broadband connections too. I get 30gb a month for home use. This is a 10MB download... Internet in Canada sucks :(

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GenerationX said:
In Canada we have 200mb data plans and 5 gb data plans. We have data caps on our home broadband connections too. I get 30gb a month for home use. This is a 10MB download... Internet in Canada sucks :(

I have a 60gb cap on my cable Internet. No Netflix or any other kind of streaming for me :/

I think Netflix will fail up here. iPads won't save it.

Last edited:

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
GenerationX said:

I was lucky to get the 6gigs data plan for he price of 1 gig with Rogers for my iPhone... At home, again with Rogers mini central, it's unlimited...

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions