What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

downgrading from the beta 5 ?

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so my kid is buying an IPAD1 today from a friend which presently has installed the BETA5...

since I am a proud owner of an IPAD1 with firmware 4.3.3 JB I would like to do same to my son`s IPAD

can someone recommend any instructions on what is needed to downgrade this IPAD from the beta 5 version to the 4.3.x JB version ?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed I posted in the wrong section...can someone please move it to the right place ?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved your thread.

Since I'm here, I'll say that I believe the easiest thing to do would be to put the iPad1 into DFU mode, install a fresh iOS 4.3.3 and then jailbreak.

I could be wrong, though. In that case, someone else should be along shortly to help... :D

Marilyn

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not that easy trust me! And it's such a pain in the as.. Later that IMO it's not worth upgrading to beta then downgrading!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would diagree that it's not that easy, and Marilyn, as always you are bang on the money, so dont doubt yourself!

The key to success is using DFU mode. Once the iPad is in DFU mode you can install stock 4.3.3 without problems.

I wrote the following guide on gettting into DFU mode here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

It may take you a couple of attempts to do it, but follow the instructions and you will get it. Then connect to iTunes, it will prompt you that there is a device in recovery mode, then simply press the "restore" button and iTunes will do the rest. Factory fresh 4.3.3 for you.

Hope that helps.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I would diagree that it's not that easy.

The key to success is using DFU mode. Once the iPad is in DFU mode you can install stock 4.3.3 without problems.

I wrote the following guide on gettting into DFU mode here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

It may take you a couple of attempts to do it, but follow the instructions and you will get it. Then connect to iTunes, it will prompt you that there is a device in recovery mode, then simply press the "restore" button and iTunes will do the rest. Factory fresh 4.3.3 for you.

Hope that helps.

But haven't you got to install iTunes beta 10.5 to downgrade? It wouldnt let me do it until I had!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No? You would certainly need it to install the beta, but not to install 4.3.3. Once a device is in DFU mode it is absolutely irrelevant what firmware is installed on it. iTunes simply cannot see the firmware, so no need to mess around with beta iTunes in this users case.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
No? You would certainly need it to install the beta, but not to install 4.3.3. Once a device is in DFU mode it is absolutely irrelevant what firmware is installed on it. iTunes simply cannot see the firmware, so no need to mess around with beta iTunes in this users case.

Ah that's interesting to know! Thanks

Most reactions