What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the new 4G iPad 4 is unlocked?

ashourism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I know someone in the US coming soon, and i want him to get me the iPad 4, i live in Egypt, the things is i don't understand if i buy the AT&T one will it work if i remove its sim card and put my 3G Vodafone Egypt Micro Sim Card out of the box or it'll require jail breaking or unlocking?

the apple website says "iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular can roam worldwide on GSM/UMTS networks. In countries without compatible LTE networks, iPad with Retina display will operate on GSM network technologies such as HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a micro-SIM card from a local carrier."

in Egypt we have maximum speed at HSPA+ that means that it'll operate normally, given that vodafone Egypt frequencies matches exactly AT&T ones?

Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPads are not locked to a carrier, unlike subsidized phones. It sounds like you've done your homework and that everything else is good, so it should work.

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I know someone in the US coming soon, and i want him to get me the iPad 4, i live in Egypt, the things is i don't understand if i buy the AT&T one will it work if i remove its sim card and put my 3G Vodafone Egypt Micro Sim Card out of the box or it'll require jail breaking or unlocking?

the apple website says "iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular can roam worldwide on GSM/UMTS networks. In countries without compatible LTE networks, iPad with Retina display will operate on GSM network technologies such as HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a micro-SIM card from a local carrier."

in Egypt we have maximum speed at HSPA+ that means that it'll operate normally, given that vodafone Egypt frequencies matches exactly AT&T ones?

Thanks

It is unlocked but 4G won't work everywhere. It is limited to countries that offer LTE frequency multiplexing and not time multiplexing.

Most reactions