What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the name give us some clues to the longevity of the product?

Arthur3000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The next iPad will likely be released next year.

However I can't get over the fact that Apple haven't given this iPad a proper name. The new iPad, how long can people go into a shop and ask for it? Once the 'next iPad' comes out there will be no clear way for customers to ask for the one we now call 'new'.

Does this mean Apple will more or less be writing it off by this time next year?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
It means you go into the store and ask for an iPad. The store keeper automatically assumes, correctly,you mean the latest model, unless otherwise stated. Same idea for the Touch and iphone for example. You buy what's in vogue - the latest model. You want an earlier model, you specifically ask for one.

I doubt it'll be written off this time next year. But only Apple know that.

OP
A

Arthur3000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I mean, once there is a new iPad out there will be no clear way to ask for the 'new ipad' whereas people at the moment can conceivably still ask for iPad 1 or iPad 2 becuase they are clearly named and differentiated. Maybe it's the sign of a new strategy? It could either decrease sales of older models becuase it's hard to ask for/find them or increase them by making them seem not as far behind the latest model... it is strange one either way.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The name of this iPad is "iPad", not "new iPad". Just tell the you want the 2012 model or the 3nd model, unless you want the 2011 Model or the 2nd model, whose name is "iPad 2".

rjreynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I mean, once there is a new iPad out there will be no clear way to ask for the 'new ipad' whereas people at the moment can conceivably still ask for iPad 1 or iPad 2 becuase they are clearly named and differentiated. Maybe it's the sign of a new strategy? It could either decrease sales of older models becuase it's hard to ask for/find them or increase them by making them seem not as far behind the latest model... it is strange one either way.

I would just simply refer to the new iPad as the third generation iPad.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The next iPad will likely be released next year.

However I can't get over the fact that Apple haven't given this iPad a proper name. The new iPad, how long can people go into a shop and ask for it? Once the 'next iPad' comes out there will be no clear way for customers to ask for the one we now call 'new'.

Does this mean Apple will more or less be writing it off by this time next year?

Apple offers roughly 12 major products. 10 of them do not have version numbers. The only two that did were the iPhone and iPad. The iPad is now inline with the rest of Apples products. The iPhone should be next.

BTW, when you ask for an iPod Nano or iMac do you give a version number when in the Apple store? Considering the Nano has six generations with three physical redesigns, it would seem you might need one but alas Apple never provided one and yet no one seems to be complaining about that. Nor do they complain about the iMac.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
People are making WAY too big of a deal about this IMO. it's called the iPad. Smart marketing choice on apples part TBH.

Sent from my iPad 3

OP
A

Arthur3000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the fact that there are so many people discussing it and claiming it means different things signals the fact that it is unusual.

Why did iPhone and iPad start off with clearly named versions and now are seemingly losing that aspect, is it to stay in line with the less revolutionary product upgrades. Will they ever release an iPhone 5 or iPad 4 now or have those types of names gone forever? It's interesting.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go into a store and ask for an iPad, the first thing they will ask you is which one. You have a choice of 14 different models. The question you should ask yourself is what will they call the iPad 2 next year. For this year, the iPad 2 will be a low cost alternative to the iPad. When they go to the 2013 model, will they keep the iPad 2 as is, or will they upgrade it, and if so, what will they call it? I think they will at least they will use the iPad 3 shell to standardize, but no retina screen, and any upgrades will be year or two behind. I think the big thing they coud do for the iPad 2 next year is to put the iPad 3 battery in it for a real long battery life.

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the fact that there are so many people discussing it and claiming it means different things signals the fact that it is unusual.

Why did iPhone and iPad start off with clearly named versions and now are seemingly losing that aspect, is it to stay in line with the less revolutionary product upgrades. Will they ever release an iPhone 5 or iPad 4 now or have those types of names gone forever? It's interesting.

They didn't. When the first iPad came out it was simply "iPad" also. It would make no sense for apple to release a new product and put a number designation next to it. It just so happens that the next iPad that came out was called iPad 2. It's not like there have been iPad 7, iPad 8 and then they dropped the number assignment. This might also have to do with the fact that Apple is going to release a 7in iPad sometime this year so it wouldn't make sense to call this then the iPad 4. For all we know the next iPad could be called "iPad Revolution" or "iPad superfantasticawesomo" (note to apple: if you name your next iPad this I WANT ROYALTIES)...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I'd want to avoid a generic name is the PITA of searching for accessories online. I had a between-generations iPod with bad naming, and searching for accessories was a time-consuming pain. That's especially the case if the model is no longer the latest.

I don't care if they name a device by a bunch of random characters, whatever, but make it usable for a search, for the love of tech.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People are making WAY too big of a deal about this IMO. it's called the iPad. Smart marketing choice on apples part TBH.

I think Apple just buggered up the naming scheme. They really should have thought about this a long time ago. They have been iterating products for years now. It should have been a fine-tuned art even when the original iPad was introduced.

I don't like the generation naming scheme because if you don't follow a product, you have no idea what a generation product includes. I do like the simple product names, though...if they go to a naming scheme like what companies use for TV I would NEVER buy another Apple product (of course, there is NO chance of this happening). Still, this could have been done better. There never should have been an iPad 2, for example. iPad (2010, 2011, 2012 iterations) would have been fine. They could have simply printed the release year in small print on the back under "iPad".

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The prob with naming models by year is the marketing hiccup of selling a device named IPad 2012 in January, February or March 2013. Makes it a harder psychological sell for some people if the name is from last year.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also explain buying an iPad 2011 in August of 2012, or even January 2013. There is no win win in naming generation items. Even automobiles often need to be differentiated by VIN within model years.

Most reactions