What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iOS 5.01 speed up your iPad 1?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has it for you? :)
If so, that's great!! I always love when I do fragment my PC and clean the disc space etc. Always seems to run better!

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not noticed any speed difference in my iPad. My MAC(s) have always run efficiently and fast and gave up PC about 10 years ago and do not miss it.

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found that the doesn't seem to be much of a performance hit, as I have a fairly large PDF in iBooks to open and index. It seems to be as good or better when doing lookups and index queries. Most apps seem to be as quick in running as in version 4.3xx. But on large docs, I do try to keep the number of apps running to a minimum, and that seems to help a lot.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not really sure about mine because I just cleaned out a lot of idle apps and felt that it really sped things up over the previous configuration---but my house cleaning was almost simultaneous with my upgrade from iOS 5.0 to iOS 5.01.

That's the reason I put out the question.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely not.
I'd have to agree as I'm not seeing any speed improvements either. However I am almost certain I'm seeing some additional stability after I upgraded to iOS 5.0.1. Several Apps are working smoother including Pages and the Music App (although I still wish they'd just bring back the old iPod App). They were noticeably "glitchy" and the Music App was just painfully slow or would crash after I upgraded to iOS 5. However now their performance is much better with 5.0.1. I think I'm experiencing improvements in the performance of other apps as well so it looks like they tweaked a few things other than battery life and adding multitasking gestures.

Overall however the original iPad's performance is not as snappy with iOS 5 and/or 5.0.1 as it was with previous versions.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
The bottom line is no, iOS 5 does not ""speed up" the original iPad. More here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/51791-ipad-slower-after-ios5-2.html#post356866

Bench tests for iOS 5.0.1 haven't been published yet, but we'll have to keep our eyes open!

Thanks for the link, Rich. I had stopped following that thread, thinking it was mainly about the slowdown occasioned by 5.0. But the last couple of posters on that thread seem to have pretty different opinions about the speed of 5.01.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Rich. I had stopped following that thread, thinking it was mainly about the slowdown occasioned by 5.0. But the last couple of posters on that thread seem to have pretty different opinions about the speed of 5.01.
I've been following the other thread as well. I think the others are of the same mind as I am in my earlier post (above)...the iPad doesn't seem to be any "faster" after upgrading to iOS 5.0.1, however it does seem to be "smoother" overall if that makes sense.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I've been following the other thread as well. I think the others are of the same mind as I am in my earlier post (above)...the iPad doesn't seem to be any "faster" after upgrading to iOS 5.0.1, however it does seem to be "smoother" overall if that makes sense.

I would also agree, smoother and more stable

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any slowing is not apparent, Movie sound tracks that would not play in buzz player now do play so for me it is all good.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm running 5.0 and my iPad seems to running nice and smooth which is why I'm hesitant to go 5.1 for now. Maybe it's my imagination but I feel like it has a bit more speed:)

cogboot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it has not increased the speed of my iPad but battery performance is significantly improved and it seems as if Youtube's performance has improved As well.

C

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HappyPelican said:
I'm running 5.0 and my iPad seems to running nice and smooth which is why I'm hesitant to go 5.1 for now. Maybe it's my imagination but I feel like it has a bit more speed:)

Yeah, but you get those nice gestures when you upgrade. I had already done the workaround under the earlier (pre 5.0 ) version of iOS and liked them, so I was disappointed that they didn't work in 5.0, but said what the heck, they aren't that useful anyway. But they came back with 5.0 and--know what? They are great! And much smoother than the "hotrodded" versions.

Most reactions

Latest posts