What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the backlight bleeding eventually go away?

Nolegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning all. I just got the white iPad 2 on Monday, and when I first got home and got it turned on, one of the first things I looked for was the bleeding. I saw that mine had a little bit of it, not too noticeable, on the bottom right corner. I got my iPad from Best Buy, so I'm not sure if they will exchange it (if needed), and there is no Apple Store near me.
So, I'm wondering will the bleeding go away, or do I need to see about a replacement?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nolegirl said:
Morning all. I just got the white iPad 2 on Monday, and when I first got home and got it turned on, one of the first things I looked for was the bleeding. I saw that mine had a little bit of it, not too noticeable, on the bottom right corner. I got my iPad from Best Buy, so I'm not sure if they will exchange it (if needed), and there is no Apple Store near me.
So, I'm wondering will the bleeding go away, or do I need to see about a replacement?

It won't go away no, but if you hardly notice it then I guess it's up to you whether you can live with it or not. Apple will replace it if you are not happy with it :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the early days of the iPad2 there were 'rumours' that it get better after a time but that now seems not to be the case. The thought in the early days was that the problem was due to the adhesive that was used to attach the screen of the iPad2 not having dried ('cured') properly and that this would improve over time. But I've not heard of anyone whose iPad screen bleeding has got better - most folks who have had a problem have simply returned it for another unit. But, if you've looked through the Forum, you'll have seen that several Members have had to take even those replacement units back.

You'll have seen, too, in the Forum that Apple have now sourced an alternate screen supplier (they had two suppliers originally and it seems as though the bleeding screens were from one of those suppliers only) and so the problem should be getting better.

Given that your iPad is under warranty for a time yet, you might want to consider waiting for a while so that you can have a better chance, when and if you return it, of not ending up with a unit with a similar problem.

Hope it all works out OK for you and let us know how you get on.

Tim

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will not get better and you only have 14 days to return it to best buy but apple will cover it up to one yr

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nelson7709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys! It so happen that I stumbled into this thread that made me curious to check if my iPad 2 has the same bleeding issue. Sadly, i do. Is the bleeding a big issue? I was hoping that AAPL wiil address this issue immediately.

Btw, got my iPad 2 in the Philippines a month ago. Should i go back to the store and ask for replacement?

Hup55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the so called light bleeding on my iPad 2 but its only noticeable in a complete dark room with the screen completely black. It's not enough for me to return mine. I also noticed it slightly on my PlayBook when its booting up on the dark screen. Using both of them day to day I don't even notice it. It completely depends on how much it bothers you. But from reading numerous posts on the web some people have gone through a bunch with the same issue even going back as far as the iPad 1.

Nelson7709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hup55 said:
I have the so called light bleeding on my iPad 2 but its only noticeable in a complete dark room with the screen completely black. It's not enough for me to return mine. I also noticed it slightly on my PlayBook when its booting up on the dark screen. Using both of them day to day I don't even notice it. It completely depends on how much it bothers you. But from reading numerous posts on the web some people have gone through a bunch with the same issue even going back as far as the iPad 1.

I just hope that Steve Jobs will address this issue once and for all to ease every iPad owner's worries...Thanks!

patty_the_great

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yea the bleeding is pretty weak... getting bummed really quick that apple is becoming more and more focused on releasing a new product rather that making sure it is ready to market...

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nolegirl, I just got my iPad 2 from Bestbuy as well on Sunday. Mine had bleeding, so I took it back back for a replacement, thay had no issues returning it. My replacement has the bleeding as well, but not as severe as my 1st one. As has been said if you can live with it, then it's not going to hurt anyting. I can only see mine in a very dark room with an almost black screen, other than that I don't even notice it.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Taking luck out of the equation, am I the only person whose iPad has no bleeding at all? Still seems a predominately US issue.

OP
N

Nolegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nolegirl, I just got my iPad 2 from Bestbuy as well on Sunday. Mine had bleeding, so I took it back back for a replacement, thay had no issues returning it. My replacement has the bleeding as well, but not as severe as my 1st one. As has been said if you can live with it, then it's not going to hurt anyting. I can only see mine in a very dark room with an almost black screen, other than that I don't even notice it.

Yeah, I probably wont bother. Its only in the bottom right corner and its really small, I was just wondering if there was any truth to the story that it's due to the glue not being dry.

SDSkippy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some suggestions. My iPad has major backlight bleeding issues. I'm not sure if I should wait until the new batches are remedied or should I go ahead and get a replacement now. My fear is that if I wait too long I'll get a refurb. I really don't want to get factory refurbs. If I get a replacement now I probably won't get a refurb but there is a possibility that the replacement will still have bleeding issues. What do you guys think?

OP
N

Nolegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some suggestions. My iPad has major backlight bleeding issues. I'm not sure if I should wait until the new batches are remedied or should I go ahead and get a replacement now. My fear is that if I wait too long I'll get a refurb. I really don't want to get factory refurbs. If I get a replacement now I probably won't get a refurb but there is a possibility that the replacement will still have bleeding issues. What do you guys think?

Have you tried taking it back where you bought it? I have read on here where a few people have returned theirs and got another one that had no bleeding issues at all, or had very mild issues. I think it's a hit or miss right now. But as someone already mentioned, there is nothing wrong with a refurb iPad. They work and look the same as one purchased brand new out of the store, and still have the warranty. Let us know how it goes.

SDSkippy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to take it to the Apple Store. Best Buy won't take it back since it's past their 15 day return policy.

Most reactions

Latest posts