What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Page support symbol, subscript and superscript

Bodipy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does pages app support symbol, subscript, and superscript

Hello,
I would like to know if the iWork -page supports following stuffs.
Use of symbols, superscript and subscript, while writing a document.
I got quick office and I didn't find these options.
I have gone thdough the reviews but didn't get the answer.
It would be nice to the answer before buying another apps.
Hope someone can answer me.
Thanks in advance.....

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it does it is very well hidden. Nothing in the styles or font options and a search in Help turned up nothing for superscript or subscript, and nothing relevant for symbol.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know if the iWork -page supports following stuffs.
Use of symbols, superscript and subscript, while writing a document.
I got quick office and I didn't find these options.
I have gone thdough the reviews but didn't get the answer.
It would be nice to the answer before buying another apps.
Hope someone can answer me.
Thanks in advance.....

I have 'Pages' and superscript and subscript are partially supported. An imported document with superscripts and subscripts is displayed correctly but there is no option to insert 'new' superscripts and subscripts. A (very ugly) workaround (sit down before you read this!) is to have a 'reference' document available in your Pages 'My documents' with a single superscript and subscript in it (which you've imported from MS Word). You can then copy and paste this to the document you are working on. The superscript and subscript can be any character (i.e. they don't have to be the one you're actually wanting to use because, bizarrely, once you've inserted it, Pages lets you edit it - i.e. if you backspace through the superscript or subscript and then forward type the character you actually want to use, it is inserted correctly.) Indeed, if you keep on typing, multiple superscript or subscripted characters are inserted indefinitely, so it pays to paste your sub- or superscripted character in the middle of 'regular' text - i.e. with non sub- or superscripted text on either side, or you can't 'get out of' sub- or superscript mode!

Similarly, footnotes are correctly displayed but there is no facility (that I've found) to insert new ones. Maybe there's a similar ugly workaround, but I've been unable to use the 'subscript technique' to do this. Clearly I don't have a devious enough mind.

I've not done a comprehensive analysis of symbol font, but certainly most Greek characters are displayed correctly (pi, alpha, gamma, kappa etc) as well as the 'trademark' and 'registered' character (are they symbol font?) so I'm assuming the copy-and-paste technique would work.

Certainly Pages 'struggles' on very complex formatting and I wouldn't want to try to read a copy of the solution to Fermat's Last Theorem in Pages (let alone try to author it) but for more mundane documents it does a reasonable job.

Tim
Scotland

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have just found this thread, and yes, Tim is right, copy and paste seems to still be the option. i also have the app Unicode which has a load (not all) of symbols, subscript and superscript included. it also has greek, latin etc ... as well. I'm hoping Pages will have this command in a future update but copy and paste is still the only way.

Cosciae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought Pages and plan to purchase Numbers. What is the best print app?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought Pages and plan to purchase Numbers. What is the best print app?

Two questions

- what version of the iPad iOS do you have? If you have iOS 4.2 or above, then in-app printing is supported if....you have the correct printer
- do you have a printer at the moment and, if so, is it on the recommended list of printers that are supported directly by the iPad? If your printer is on that list, then no app is required and you can go right ahead and print from within Pages or Numbers.

If your printer is not on the list, then a good app is PrintNShare. This app maybe still can support in-app printing. The developers used an undocumented feature of iOS to support in-app printing to non-AirPrint printers and Apple have been making them remove it. Until recently, however, that app was still available from the app store with the in-app facility still present. But check before you purchase in the update notes to see whether the version you will be purchasing has had that feature removed yet. If you do purchase it and it still has that feature installed, don't upgrade in future otherwise you risk the upgrade removing that feature.

Here's the list of AirPrint supported printers

Apple - iPad - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

Tim

agencius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, iPad does support superscripts and subscripts, plus other items via an App in the App Store. Cymbol is an App written by a neighbor of mine after expressing the same kinds of difficulties in a pure iPad environment for writing.

Spread the word to help end the frustration of other writers!

Also, you can type in other special characters with the hex to Unicode conversion, giving access to thousands or other symbols and foreign language sets.

So just Google for the hexadecimal and highlight inside of the snippet editor environment of Cymbol App with copy all button, paste into your other editor or iWork App, Keynote, Numbers or Pages.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts