What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does ipad support java and flash?

riamo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello,

I am looking into getting ipad for work but need to be able to surf java and flash based websites. would the ipad allow me to do this?

If not built in - are there any apps or mods that will allow me to?

thanks!

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad does not have flash....Steve Jobs doesn't like flash. There may be an app that will allow flash....read the iPad News for info on it. The jury is still out if it works or not.

hth
CM

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash: No.

As CMfox explained, Steve Jobs have a problem with Flash.

Point of note: Can anyone explain what is the problem with this? What's Job's option of Flash? Why do he don't like it?

Java: I don't know. Haven't heard anything about this part. Can anyone still answer riamo's question about this part?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will take a significant amount of time (years) before HTML5 replaces Flash completely (if ever).

The iPad supports LIMITED Javascript, seems most school websites that use Java don't work fully with the iPad.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Point of note: Can anyone explain what is the problem with this? What's Job's option of Flash? Why do he don't like it

Could it be that Flash allows executables that have not been vetted (not to mention purchased) through the AppStore?

The official rationale could be that this is is a security issue. It also breaches the "walled garden" of course.

minus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't work as it should. I wish it would work :(

Bai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any alternate apps for flash? I heard cloud browse but it's not free anymore. Any other free?

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now countless sales people point to Apple's rival Android tablets and say "it is not an iPad but at least it does Flash". Not sure that level of advertising was what Steve had in mind. Flash does what it is made to do, it works and works fine. People point at the load time on flash websites so it takes a bit of time to load Flash content it is better than not content at all. I own a Samsung Captivate watched a YouTube video comparing it to the iPhone 4. The comment was see all these blank squares this is how the iPhone 4 displays flash, "I would gladly trade a bit in lag to see the content"

Last edited:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now countless sales people point to Apple's rival Android tablets and say "it is not an iPad but at least it does Flash". Not sure that level of advertising was what Steve had in mind. Flash does what it is made to do, it works and works fine. People point at the load time on flash websites so it takes a bit of time to load Flash content it is better than not content at all. I own a Samsung Captivate watched a YouTube video comparing it to the iPhone 4. The comment was see all these blank squares this is how the iPhone 4 displays flash, "I would gladly trade a bit in lag to see the content"

Not to mention that you can simply set the flash plugin to "on demand" and then it doesn't ever load flash until you tap on a flash box and enable it. This makes browsing fast at all times, and enabled flash whenever you need it. See a video in a new article you want to watch? Tap the box with the flash icon and wait a second for the video to load. Perfect implementation.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't crash my Android browser. Not 100% flawless, but it works most of the time, which is a lot more often than it works on the iPad.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a very popular app for the iPhone that converts Flash content to HTML 5. It is being upgraded and they say an iPad version is coming out soon. What it does is acts as a translater as you are watching. Do not discount Jobs' attack on the use of Flash. The lack of Flash support in iPhones and iPads has decreased its use significantly. And the poor performance in Android devices only makes it more likely that people will move away from Flash.

The problem many people has with Flash is that it is bloated, quirky software and is constantly needing upgrades. It has been responsible for numerous LOS attacks. It serves a purpose, but remember that Steve Jobs is a perfectionist, and a minimalist. Flash offends both of those ideals. And the love/hate relationship with Adobe, does not help the situation.

Last edited:

Most reactions