What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does iPad have directory structure that allows access across apps?

deborah75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the iPad and have a question about the directory structure. Is there a directory structure that can be manipulated in order to save files in one app and open them in another? For example, I can copy text from an email and paste it to a documents reader. I can then save it, but in order to print to my Epson printer, I have to open an Epson app and load a document from there. There doesn't seem to be a way to move around any directory structure to find other files. Is this thing a real computer or just an overgrown iPod Touch? Thanks.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Each of the apps is "sandboxed" to prohibit access to its data from other apps. It's a design feature, however there are rumors of a more open permission system coming in a new OS version that would open things up a bit more.

DenAtTheDBM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In all iDevices, there is a file/directory structure but it is hidden from the user so you can't access it like a computer. The app you use to "save" a file (some of them) may have an option to open the file in another app such as Dropbox or to upload it somewhere like iCloud. Then, your Epson app might be able to import the file from Dropbox or iCloud and print it out. It's a very closed and sometimes frustrating system.

Most reactions

Latest posts