What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does BBC iPlayer app play flash?

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would appreciate if UK iPad users can help me out. BBC provides videos for viewing on Internet but they are flash. BBC iPlayer app is available for iPad to play these videos. BBC iPlayer is not available in Noth America.

comments are appreciated
Bruce

Fofer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's strange, I can load the bbc.co.uk/iplayer site on my iPad, but when I try to play a stream I get the "Flash required" notice. I thought this site was supposed to work on the iPad? is it not working because I am in the U.S.?

In the meantime... I tried it with PocketRadio and WunderRadio and ooTunes (all iOS apps) and the BBC streams work fine from there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The BBC iPlayer app and beta web site (no app required) work just fine in the UK, but will not work in other countries. This is simply a restriction placed on the BBC because UK residents have to pay a licence fee to the BBC and it would seem unfair to them to allow non-UK viewers to gain access for free.

However, the BBC are working on a subscription-based iPlayer service that will be available in the near future - probably within a few months. Meanwhile, some BBC TV programmes are available in the iTunes store for download and viewing in the iPad's Video app - though the selection is pretty limited at present.

In addition, the present iPlayer app is a streaming-only service and for many, even in the UK, where broadband coverage is limited, this can be a problem. The BBC are also working on an undated iPlayer app that will enable programmes to be downloaded and viewed off-line, to overcome this problem. Of course, streaming will still be available as it's clearly more convenient if you have a good enough broadband connection to support this. Also, the present iPlayer app won't allow streaming over 3G, which is a real pity for people like me who have a great mobile broadband connection and an unlimited data plan but a rather poor cable broadband (I live in a rural area, but cell coverage in the UK is very good). The BBC have also said that future iPlayer apps will allow streaming over 3G although whether they'll be able to persuade Apple to relax their 20 MB download limit for 3G is another issue altogether...

Tim
Scotland

OP
Bruce S

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You Tim

Wish I could get a data plan like yours. Here at present there is only one provider "Rogers" and its $15 for 250 MB @ month or $35 for 5 GB. The area that I live in is suppose to be in their fastest service area but at full bars reception the fastest I get is little over 1 Mbps. The iPad, when streaming NetFlix runs about 2 Mbps off my WiFi. My laptop runs up to 3 1/2 Mbps off the same WiFi and up to 5 Mbps off a lan cable. I have a D-link router and run D-link vista gadget which displays WiFi, Internet and Lan speed.

In Jan I seen a news add on the internet that BBC Player would come avialible in North America this spring, do not know if there will be a fee.

Bruce

Richard10002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, what mobile data plan do you have, such that it is unlimited? Or is it unlimited with a fair usage policy.... Which actually makes it limited :)

Cheers,

Richard

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, what mobile data plan do you have, such that it is unlimited? Or is it unlimited with a fair usage policy.... Which actually makes it limited :)

Cheers,

Richard

It's the '3' "all you can eat" plan. Yes, I guess that in the small print there's 'fair usage'. I used 15 GB last month, so I've not hit it yet.

I like '3' because they *only* have 3G - i.e. no GPRS or EDGE. They don't have a 2G licence being a newcomer to the field. They've recently objected when the operators with a 2G licence requested permission to operate a 3G service in the 2G frequency band.

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The BBC iPlayer app and beta web site (no app required) work just fine in the UK, but will not work in other countries. This is simply a restriction placed on the BBC because UK residents have to pay a licence fee to the BBC and it would seem unfair to them to allow non-UK viewers to gain access for free.

However, the BBC are working on a subscription-based iPlayer service that will be available in the near future - probably within a few months. Meanwhile, some BBC TV programmes are available in the iTunes store for download and viewing in the iPad's Video app - though the selection is pretty limited at present.

In addition, the present iPlayer app is a streaming-only service and for many, even in the UK, where broadband coverage is limited, this can be a problem. The BBC are also working on an undated iPlayer app that will enable programmes to be downloaded and viewed off-line, to overcome this problem. Of course, streaming will still be available as it's clearly more convenient if you have a good enough broadband connection to support this. Also, the present iPlayer app won't allow streaming over 3G, which is a real pity for people like me who have a great mobile broadband connection and an unlimited data plan but a rather poor cable broadband (I live in a rural area, but cell coverage in the UK is very good). The BBC have also said that future iPlayer apps will allow streaming over 3G although whether they'll be able to persuade Apple to relax their 20 MB download limit for 3G is another issue altogether...

Tim
Scotland

No Top Gear for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts