What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Apple Cheat on their taxes like Google's 31B?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Linked Here and HERE

I severed in the USMC to protect and server America. I never and have never cheated on my tax as I have observed firsthand how wonderful America is. As a citizen it is my responsibility to pay my fair share of taxes. Now with reductions in public support, teacher, first responders, it really bugs me that Google would do this. I have not found this to be true with Apple. Therefore I will never support Anything Google. (Period) end of story. I hope your join me and moreover I hope you pay your fair share of taxes. Our schools need it and its cheaper to teach kid than it is to house them in the penitentiary. For whom much is given much is expected.

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Linked Here and HERE

I severed in the USMC to protect and server America. I never and have never cheated on my tax as I have observed firsthand how wonderful America is. As a citizen it is my responsibility to pay my fair share of taxes. Now with reductions in public support, teacher, first responders, it really bugs me that Google would do this. I have not found this to be true with Apple. Therefore I will never support Anything Google. (Period) end of story. I hope your join me and moreover I hope you pay your fair share of taxes. Our schools need it and its cheaper to teach kid than it is to house them in the penitentiary. For whom much is given much is expected.

Doesn't mean people follow the bible, 42.12.48....the point is it's america, and it's a legal loophole, but yeah screw google, they're major aholes...I like apple though...steve jobs cheats on his taxes, his annual salary is 1$, has been since he took ownership of apple in late 90's...when apple turned around with ipod and iphone etc etc...the beginning of the research...everything he is paid is "gifts" 80 million dollar jets, houses, etc etc...he buys what he wants as a gift...it's actually really smart, I think you should learn tax law...the problem is people like john kerry can pay 8,000$ in taxes when he made 44 million the year he ran for president...(including his wife's heinz ketchup), and own 8 houses at that point..property taxes? gee...something's wrong here....

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it is. and don't get me wrong I choose to pay my fair share. But its like this. I went on a business trip to San Jose. The hotel had free breakfast, Lunch was catered and most of the dinners were also. When I got back to the office my boss came to my office and said you need to charge more for your meals. Long story short, I didn’t change it . In fact 19 years and I still comp true trip expenses. If they give me too much change at the store I take it back. I have a long story with an 2 HP desktop and Fry's only charged for one. I took it back although my son complained. I guess it’s just me.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I severed in the USMC to protect and server America. I never and have never cheated on my tax as I have observed firsthand how wonderful America is. As a citizen it is my responsibility to pay my fair share of taxes.

I also served in the military (I'm not American) and I also pay my taxes, but I do make a clear distinction between being tax savvy enough to minimize what you need to legally pay (possibly through the services of a chartered accountant), and "evil" criminal tax evasion.

Tax law is complex, but taking the time to talk to a financial advisor, to learn up and know what you should or should not need to pay, and structuring your finances accordingly is simply common sense.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
I also served in the military (I'm not American) and I also pay my taxes, but I do make a clear distinction between being tax savvy enough to minimize what you need to legally pay (possibly through the services of a chartered accountant), and "evil" criminal tax evasion.

Tax law is complex, but taking the time to talk to a financial advisor, to learn up and know what you should or should not need to pay, and structuring your finances accordingly is simply common sense.

I have to agree with that, I don't know about the USA but here in the UK many companies would fail if they didn't take advantage of the tax laws where they can. There is sometimes a fine line between legal and illegal when it comes to taxes but here's the rub, governments know exactly what these companies are doing but they also know that any failed business just adds to the tax burden on everyone else with increased unemployment.

Google are also a company with a similar situation to the banks in that they can operate from anywhere at anytime, if you make life difficult for them they will head off to a different country, some of which would offer big $ just to get them into their country........if this happens you have increased unemployment, increased tax bills and no discernible benefit.

Whilst I sympathise with the OP's viewpoint it is a much bigger issue than if or where they pay their taxes.

The Archangel

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google employs great Tax Lawyers and Accountants. It's not cheating, because it is all legal.

In fact, many other companies are trying to follow their model and reduce their tax liabilties.

If you want to vilify someone, re-vector your efforts towards the government that allows those loopholes in the tax laws.

For the record, Apple does shift income to subsidiaries in lower taxed parts of the world..... they just aren't as brutally efficient as Google.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does any large corporation pay "fair" taxes?
Taxation is widely distorted by lobbyists and interest groups to ensure exemptions and adjustments for corporate interests.
Throw in tax lawyers and any concept of fairness is meaningless......

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does any large corporation pay "fair" taxes?
Taxation is widely distorted by lobbyists and interest groups to ensure exemptions and adjustments for corporate interests.
Throw in tax lawyers and any concept of fairness is meaningless......

I agree with this 100%. If you are going to avoid Google for finding a way around taxes you might as well move into a cabin in the woods and stop doing business with any major corporation in the US. They all have major tax loopholes. I remember reading an interesting article from Warren Buffett where he was shocked to find out that his secretary had a higher tax burden (by percentage) than he did. You have to be very wealthy or very poor to live tax free.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here in Australia, income tax can reach a whopping 30-40%, so you'd be foolish not to find all the legal loopholes to avoid getting slugged for the full amount. Even getting an accountant to do your returns for a few hundred dollars, so that he or she can save you thousands by knowing what you can get tax exemptions for and structuring the way you file your returns is being smart (from individuals to corporations.)

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I severed in the USMC to protect and server America. I never and have never cheated on my tax as I have observed firsthand how wonderful America is. As a citizen it is my responsibility to pay my fair share of taxes.

Yes the tax the law is a bit of complex and it takes a person who can understand it and yes i do take all the breaks i can get on the tax codes from the basic cost of clothing i buy for work to the travel and eating out expense on the road and car repairs and gas that i buy when out on the road useing my own personal vehicle as a work vehicle ..

So anything that me personaly i can get back from the tax code i will do because in the long run it saves me money and yes i pay out a hefty taxs to the state of CA and the federal side at times and i do feel that anything that i can do to get part of the money i pay out in taxs back at the end of the year

For i pay more in State taxs than i do in federal taxs so i'm looking to do anything to get the money back

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Very well said.

But let me ask, what about me? I do not own a home or have any children. Why cant I also take advantage of those tax loopholes the married homeowners can take advantage of?

Seems rather unfair that some of you can "cheat" the government out of what you should pay. Just an illustration, folks . . . Not calling anyone here a cheat.

Google and others take advantage of the law and they are cheaters. You take advantage of the law and it is fine.

Bob

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
But let me ask, what about me? I do not own a home or have any children. Why cant I also take advantage of those tax loopholes the married homeowners can take advantage of?

You can always talk to a tax accountant and/or financial planner to work out what suits your particular situation. In fact, over here it's against the law for someone who isn't licensed to be giving financial advice.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sad fact is that with a basic tax law, without all the loopholes, the amount due from the average taxpayer would be a lot less in an ideal world. Reality is that if we closed the loopholes, thousands of accountants and lawyers would go out of business. It would devastate a large portion of society with deep pockets. Since they have political clout, we will never see reform. It is the same as our legal system, the lawyers own the political powers. They are bloodsuckers like mosquitoes that have been able to ban DDT.

And even if they did pass taxation reform, it would not decrease taxes, just increase wasteful government spending.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:

You can always talk to a tax accountant and/or financial planner to work out what suits your particular situation. In fact, over here it's against the law for someone who isn't licensed to be giving financial advice.

And guess what my Tax people do? They look for ways to LEGALLY shelter my money and we are back to the debate: Does Google/Apple cheat because they use legal loopholes and current tax law? No, is the answer.

And my point: why can't I have the same perks you married folks with kids take advantage of? I am not against the deductions people take, just trying to make a point.

You will not win this one; Google and Apple do not cheat, period.

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts