What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone else think split keyboard is too small?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love it but it COULD be a little bigger. Ideally, user-adjustable. Not everyone has tiny hands and fingers.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

niitramdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, i feel that it's too small and also wish it could be moved to the bottom. I'm with you, I'm sure I can get used to it but wish I didn't have to... Still love the idea!

himrich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it's too small. I was hoping the Settings would allow some latitude in sizing it but alas that may be a later update. Hope so since it is unuseable in its present state.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, particularly since I'm a guy who has average to slightly larger than average hands, so I can cover more real estate with my thumbs. I can actually do the same with the regular keyboard but not nearly as naturally and comfortably as with the split keyboard. The "Radial" app had it going and I wish that is a split keyboard format Apple would consider as a user-selectable option.

You can slide it to the bottom but not all the way, as when it reaches the bottom, it merges and docks again. Apple needs to fix that. I like having it there.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Attachments

• image-593330421.png
    image-593330421.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 434

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
too small, does not work, but the undocking is excellent.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love it but it COULD be a little bigger. Ideally, user-adjustable. Not everyone has tiny hands and fingers.

YES!

The split keyboard was one of the new features of iOS 5 I was most looking forward to but due to its size find I don't use it as much as I was expecting to.

I also find it a lot easier to use in portrait mode than landscape, the opposite to what I was expecting.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a lone voice, no. It's perfectly proportioned for my little fat thumbs :) I've been using it since the first beta and absolutely love it!

Wizee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can re-position the keyboard by holding down the 4 keys on bottom right. Just put finger center of the 4 and you can move the keyboard where you want. It just takes a little pratice. Also you can swipe the keyboard to split. Swipe opposit ways.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it is small but to be honest I quite like it......more of a problem for me is rewiring my brain to find the letters when it's split!

The Archangel

niitramdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the tips about moving it down, I might be able to get used to it now.

I might have spoken too fast, I truly suck at typing with it like this.

I'm with @Gabriel1 talking about rewiring my brain. This is tougher than it looks...

Last edited:

heshie75v

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but can someone tell me how to get the split keyboard?
thanks

tglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the keyboard comes up you will notice at the bottom right that the keyboard key has some hash marks. Just touch there. You can also place your thumbs in the middle of the keyboard and pull it apart

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The small keyboard was a bit of a shock at first, but it just needs getting used to, now it's fine for me after having it a few days :)

Most reactions

Latest posts