What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you own a iphone and an ipad?

leenybaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting an upgrade for my phone and I was thinking about getting The iPhone and I already have an iPad does this seem practical? Will I have to buy some apps again? How is it working out for you?

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both. Have had an iPhone since version 1. On second iPad. The apps I buy are usually apps that will work on both so I only have to pay once. Some are bought to be used specifically on one or the other.
What I use works great for me. Glad I have both too!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
some offer the same app to work on both devices(called universal apps)
if you see that +, it means universal, no + and its specific to that device.
if its iPad only, it will not work on iphone.
universal-apps-2.jpg

universal-apps-1.jpg

but 99% of iphone apps will be able to work on iPad and look like this, but they are adding the requirements slowly to make iphone apps universal(via updates to the app).
iphone_app_ipad1.png

there is an option covered by that right hand just below, that will show 2x, that will stretch the app, but not high quality(high definition) that you are used to.
Most of these iphone apps, via jailbreak can make them fullscreen, by adding a certain tweak "fullforce or retinapad".

only have to buy an app once.
but example...slingplayer have an iphone app and iPad app, that you have to pay twice, cause they didn't make their app universal, not very nice.
i don't see others doing this.

Last edited:

seen.to

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most work on both without extra cost but a couple require you to buy separate versions if you want the optimal experience on both (all iPhone apps will work on iPad albeit at a smaller size or lower quality).

Couple of examples of apps I've had to buy for each device would be Omnifocus (iPhone version works on iPad but not as nicely as the iPad version). Also Quickoffice Pro required two purchases for optimal operation.

I owned the iPhone long before the iPad and was pleasantly surprised to discover how many iPad optimized apps were automagically installed on the iPad when I first synced :)

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had both, but it seemed redundant to me having the same thing on two devices and trying to keep them in sync (though this should be easier with the new icloud). I ended up getting rid of the iPhone and keeping the iPad, though the other alternatives for phones aren't much better, so I might be going back to the iPhone for my next upgrade (unless I move to sprint because ATT is becoming the most nazi phone service in existence)

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yup and would never dump my att iphone. upgrade and alleged iphone 5 drop date are the same neighborhood.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have both!

I purchase my iPad 2 the day of the release in the US, this was my first iPad and about a month ago my phone broke and I had to use my upgrade to get a new one, I end up with the iPhone 4 and I may even consider going to the iPhone 5 later.

OP
L

leenybaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I think I'm definitely going to get the iPhone 3GS it's only $49.

cesctheman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 I must be blessed...lol
I love them both. I have some universal apps but buy more for my iPad now, not so much my iPhone.

OP
L

leenybaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They do sell it but I'm not really willing to pay $199 after I just spent almost $600 on my iPad

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my IPad since last August then the IPhone 4 since Feburary and could not be any happier. I have had the displeasure of working with all the Apple wanna be tablets and not one come close.
Will upgrade ti IP5 , IPad 3 when time comes. Why would anyone choose any other smart phones or tablets than the Apple products. I also have an IMac, Mac pro and a new Mac air with an i7 processor.
Amazing products which are simple to use, and secure to operate.

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had iphone 3gs but sold it and got inspire 4g

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions