What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we need the 3G on the ipad? or is wifi sufficiant.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Applebaum said:
I was just wondering if it's worth purchasing the 3G models or not.

Depends if you want Internet access everywhere. In my case, I have an iPhone, so since I can tether, there is no need for 3G.

VicoPad addict!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really you need to ask yourself how frequently you would want to use your iPad away from home. A lot 3g, rarely wifi.
The core of the iPad's functionality is it's internet connection.

If you find yourself uncertain there's always tethering or a pay as you go mifi.

I my case I went for the larger storage as I already had a mifi which works well, if a fraction slower than native 3g.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The Alternative said:
If you travel a lot you'll wish you had 3G. It comes in very handy when away from home and no free wi-fi available. Doesn't tethering require a jailbroken device?

Not since iOS 4.3. I am able to tether via Bluetooth on my iPhone 3GS.

VicoPad addict!

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost everywhere I go has wifi (home, work, hotels, coffee shops, etc) so I didn't bother with the 3G. Plus now that Verizon has mobile hotspot on my phone I can get a data plan that actually costs less than the one offered with the 3G iPad. If I ever get in a position I need 3G I will just activate that.

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to get the 3G so I could get online everywhere and not have to carry another device all the time.

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honest?

Simple answer is No need 3G as most wifi around of us.

Useless u need gps or use internet if where not available have wifi around.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've never had 3g on any device before, and will only need it about 3 or 4 times a year, if that. but i thought hey, why not, sod it.

If any more Welshmen join the forum we will have to start an all Welsh Choir.:D

Al

aye. a close harmony singing app is needed :)

what other Welsh peeps are here then? i know of none. i do know the Scotts are invading though. now that is worrying. :)

craig1912

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DJP1984 said:
Honest?

Simple answer is No need 3G as most wifi around of us.

Useless u need gps or use internet if where not available have wifi around.

Simple answer is yes-I don't have 3G phone and use ipad at work and in car where there is no wifi

Most reactions

Latest posts