What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need WIFI to watch movies through ITunes?

Crow331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but I am using this new IPAD2 for a specific business purpose and the area I will be using this has spotty internet service to say the least. All I need to do is to play movies through I-Tunes. That is it's only functionality for me.

So my question is, if the videos are already downloaded onto the IPAD, does I-Tunes have to connect to the internet to play them? Basically I'm trying to determine if I need to get the 3G? I only want to use this to play video and nothing else. Will it play without wifi/3G?

Thanks guys!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If a video is loaded on the iPad it does not need the internet to play. That would be true of any file that is stored locally on the iPad. If you are purchasing the movie through iTunes, it will transfer the necessary permissions to play along with the movie when you sync.

Though iTunes is the usual way to sync video with the iPad, the movie will actually play using the Video app on the iPad. Just to avoid possible confusion later.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movies that have been downloaded play just fine without access to WiFi or 3G. Otherwise you'd not be able to play them on an airplane - one of the major selling points of the iPad.

Have fun watching your movies and using your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

Crow331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I figured as much. Someone was giving me bad information! I will skip the 3G in that case.

Les Parson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I download a movie from iTunes using iPad and then watch the movie on same, or is it necessary to download on a computer and then sync to iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can download the movie onto the iPad. Make sure you have a good Wi-Fi connection and plenty of time to let it download. Movies are usually too big to download over 3G. Apple will block them.

Les Parson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks that's what I did. However, I'm confused about what to do after downloading. I downloaded two movies and found them in iPod in the 'purchased' section. When I tried to select either one, everything just shut down and I wondered if an additional app was required. In short, I need help on what to do after downloading.

Many thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should be able to play them using the Video app. The iPod app sometimes lists music videos and podcasts, but it will automatically switch to he Video app to play them.

If you are having trouble with them playing, a restart might help. Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, then slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, wait a few seconds, and hold the power button down until the Apple logo appears.

bradleyblanchat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to play them using the Video app. The iPod app sometimes lists music videos and podcasts, but it will automatically switch to he Video app to play them.

If you are having trouble with them playing, a restart might help. Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, then slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, wait a few seconds, and hold the power button down until the Apple logo appears.

I have done this many times over the course of the past year and a half with my iPad 2. Yesterday, both movies would not play. I signed into the plane's WIFI, and then the movie played. Could this be an oversight to iOS6?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No idea. It doesn't sound likely. All I can suggest are the usual fixes.

---------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions