What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need the iPad 3G?

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy the less expensive wifi model and get a Verizon or Sprint Mifi device. MiFi units are pocket-size mobile hot spots that convert cellular data signals into a small Wi-Fi bubble -- good for allowing up to five separate Wi-Fi-enabled devices to connect.
Mifi units from Verizon sell for $269.99 retail (or $49 with a two-year contract, including instant discount). Monthly data plans cost $39.99 for 250MB or $59.99 for 5GB.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a contract with AT&T for iPad cellular data. It costs <$300./year for all the data I can download and the connection lasts as long as the iPad battery, not the mere two hours of the mobile hotspots. I don't have a home wireless network, either. 3G is the only way for me. By the way, 250MB of data is practically useless. I used 2GB in the first week of ownership. At that rate the 5GB plan would cap out well before month's end.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm? Pay $130 upfront and get GPS also, with $30/month for unlimited serve and no contract. Or Pay $50 for mifi and $60 month with a two year contract. That is $850 vs $1490 dollars over two years and I don't have to deal with the battery life and bulk of the mifi. That means I can afford a new iPad with my savings.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with figmo10 and seadog, But, what if you also wanted to run a laptop? Just throwing the thought out there.

Either way, I would still buy a 3G, so I always had the option of 3G.

I wonder if Apple would offer the ability to upgrade a wi-fi only to 3G? I would think a lot of people would want to take this option if they could.

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with figmo10 and seadog, But, what if you also wanted to run a laptop? Just throwing the thought out there.

I wonder if Apple would offer the ability to upgrade a wi-fi only to 3G? I would think a lot of people would want to take this option if they could.

Why would they do that? If you wanted the 3G, you should have waited and bought the 3G.

Myipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought 3G

I had iPod touch and always envied 3G and gps on iPhone.
So I bought 3G and satisfied.

:)

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would imagine that reselling the wifi model would not be to hard on eBay, then buy the 3G you want. I would also probably be in that predicament, but didn't have the cash to buy when it came out. Since I'll probably have to wait till October to get mine, maybe the second generation will be out, with some neat new upgrades, for the same $. I just go to the Apple store in town to play with the iPad when I really NEED to touch one. :D

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Jailbreak the iPad and run "mywi" on the 3G, maybe?

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have to have on the go wifi access for other devices like laptops then the mifi solution is probably something that has to seriously considered.

or

If you are in an area that simply does not get any ATT signals

other than that

I can't / don't understand why someone would want to pay more, sign a contract, manage more devices and batteries, go through extra steps to connect, blah blah blah to NOT go with the ATT option.

BethAsheville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original wifi and ordered a 3G today (supposed to be shipped in 5-7 work days, arriving by 5/22 at the latest). I want to take it on a vacation, driving to PA, NY and maybe VT. I hope ATT will connect okay in those places.

Can Skype work okay with iPad's microphone???
:comingsoon:

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original wifi and ordered a 3G today (supposed to be shipped in 5-7 work days, arriving by 5/22 at the latest). I want to take it on a vacation, driving to PA, NY and maybe VT. I hope ATT will connect okay in those places.

Can Skype work okay with iPad's microphone???
:comingsoon:

I don't think Skype works over 3G yet.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overall it is cheaper to go with the iPad 3G, but if you are like most of us you have a smartphone that already has a data plan and can be tethered. This would be your best and most cost effective option.

mpengle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the Skype works well with iPad 3G model.

I think he means Skype doesn't work over the 3G lines but of course it should over wifi. Unless they already updated Skype, as they said they were going to...

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the whistle phone app. That allows you to make telephone calls off the iPad. I tired it and it seems to work.

Most reactions

Latest posts