What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i buy the extended warrenty?

lifeisgood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought an IPAD 2 and Best Buy told me I have 14 days to decide. It's called the BLACK TIE protection. It will cost $329.00 for two years which will include:
Geek Squad Tech Support in store for up to 3 computing devices (they said it will include my Dell laptop), setup and shield with install.....

What do you think? I'd love your input.

Last edited:

psy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mrs bought my iPad from John Lewis in the uk, they sell iPad at the same price as everyone else but offer 2 yr warranty free,
I've added my pad to my banks gadget insurance so it's insured free too.

psy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ohh also you should be covered by your statutory rights. The 1year warranty has to be offered by law, statutory rights cover the design life to cost of an item, I had an issue with my washing.machine as it failed at 20 mths old, the shop said it was out side the 1 yr warranty so tuff basically , when I asked for the manager and quoted. My stat rights I got an exchange,,,,,woot.
On the other hand I bought my first 42" plasma tv not even hd for £2700 the 5 yr cover cost me £900 lol."..tv never had a problem and for £900 now I could have bought a 50"3d tv. Ahhhh we'll. Live and learn

I do find it amusing when a cashier offered me extended warranty on a £20. Veg steamer lol

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Giving Best Buy $329.00 up from for extended warranty on a well built electronic device is expensive insurance in my opinion.

Your iPad2 is covered for a full year under Apple's manufacturers warranty. You can extend that warranty an additional year for $79.00.

AA

OP
L

lifeisgood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giving Best Buy $329.00 up from for extended warranty on a well built electronic device is expensive insurance in my opinion.

Your iPad2 is covered for a full year under Apple's manufacturers warranty. You can extend that warranty an additional year for $79.00.

AA

Just to clairify the BB extended covers accidental damage from handling...I've dropped my smartphone twice ....cracked screen. Do IPAD have any huge issues?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yikes, that's an expensive plan. I don't buy extra coverage, but if I did, I'd go with SquareTrade, which is reputable and often offers discount codes.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
lifeisgood said:
Just to clairify the BB extended covers accidental damage from handling...I've dropped my smartphone twice ....cracked screen. Do IPAD have any huge issues?

Then I would recommend protection like the Otterbox "Defender" series case for your iPad. It retails for $89.00 + $79.00 to extend your warranty to 2 years. You're ahead $160.00

AA

OP
L

lifeisgood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then I would recommend protection like the Otterbox "Defender" series case for your iPad. It retails for $89.00 + $79.00 to extend your warranty to 2 years. You're ahead $160.00

AA

Thanks all so much for your input....so....If I get the otterbox defender....can I use the Targus Versavu Keyboard and Case, which is what I wanted to get for protection/keyboard. (your thoughts on this case?) also where do I sign up for the extended warrenty and does it cover dropping/broken screen?

I'm so not savvy about all this IPAD stuff... but I do know it will make my life easier!!!

Thanks again!

OP
L

lifeisgood

iPF Noob
Reaction score

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note about extended warranties in general. Companies would not offer them if the average customer needed them. Their profit comes from the fact that electronic devices are typically subject to "infant mortality," i.e. they fail soon after purchase or not at all. Second, buying a three year warranty on an iPad is a lot like buying a twenty year warranty on your automobile; you're very likely to replace the iPad before the warranty expires. Finally, I would be especially skeptical about purchasing a warranty that assured me a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad would be repairing my iPad.

nononana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i didn't buy the extended warrenty, i think it is unnecessary, buy whether buy or not, it all depends on you.

psy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My bank account comes with extras I.e. breakdown insurance phone insurance etc.
I phoned them today to register iPad for gadget insurance and they said I get extended warranty on any electrical items I register that were purchased within 3 mths

Most reactions

Latest posts