What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do docks exist which stream music without speakers?

sumorez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that's a tough question to word in the topic, but -- I'm looking for a simple iPad dock that doesn't have speakers built in, but can stream music to speakers. I'm setting up a room at work which will have an iPod and iPad dock available for my employees to drop their players onto, which will be connected to a set of speakers that already exists. All the docks I find on Amazon appear to be charge-only. Does such a thing exist for the iPad like it does for the iPod?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Get an airport express to connect to your amp/ speakers and then just use one of those charging docks. You should then be able to AirPlay your music to the airport express.

OP
S

sumorez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both of which are $100+ options. Maybe "stream" was the wrong word. I want sound to come out of the iPad, via the dock connector, and radiate from a speaker system, which already exists, via a 3.5mm jack or whatever.

I'm looking for a $15 dock with a 3.5mm jack, not a full-featured Bluetooth setup.

Apparently I can't post a link on here but if you search Amazon for "Apple Dock Kit for iPod 4G", you'll find a little piece of plastic that's seven bucks and allows you to dock and charge your iPod, and has a 3.5mm jack to send to a speaker system. Does such a beast not exist for the iPad?

OP
S

sumorez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, not 100% sure why this was moved to "iPad Help"...?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
There was no mention of budget in your OP. Anyway why not just use a cable from the headphone socket then.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of the docks have audio outputs, or for those that don't you could plug a cheap dock-connector/audio cable to give you the output to your stereo.

Or just use a 3.5mm cable plugged into the headphone socket.

OP
S

sumorez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid using the headphone socket since we're switching over to Square for some of our credit card processing, which uses the headphone jack. That's why I'm looking for a dock with one.

I didn't know the Apple dock had a line out. That would have solved the whole question. I never saw one in any of the pictures, and it didn't mention it on Amazon's site. Thanks.

Most reactions