What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling 3G to avoid Internet charges abroad?

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I do this, activate airplane mode and then activate wifi so I can still use net where I am? In America ATM so Don't want hefty net usage charges from tmobile:)

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just as you said. Turn on airplane mode in settings and then turn on wifi just below it. That's what I do when I travel.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Settings', 'Cellular Data', 'Data Roaming' -> 'Off'

Tim

I just go to Cellular Data and turn it off. That disables the 3G completely.

But the setting is quite useful in European and other countries when people live close to the border of another country. There you could be in your home country but the iPad decides to go for a slighter stronger signal from a base station that's over the border - hence incurring roaming charges. With data roaming set to off, it forces the iPad to only use the base stations that are in your home country or that don't incur roaming charges - while still leaving 3G enabled.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does that also stop the charges?
If this is the same as your question on another thread, the answer is no. If you want to cancel your subscription, you need to cancel with your carrier.

Most reactions

Latest posts