What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital pens

joedawson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using a ?penscribe digital pen to write patient notes into the much criticised NHS IT system.
This works well!
Can anyone tell me if I can use a similar pen to write my patient notes directly into Filemaker Go for iPad 2
I use the standard Filemaker FP7 database.

I contacted Penscribe and they have not answered my enquiry.

I cannot find any info re this on the forum, so apologies if this has been covered before.
joeDawson

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Digital pens?

All you need to write/draw on the iPad (other than your finger) is a standard stylus. Some are better than others and some cost different than others, but on the whole a decent one is around a tenner. Styluseses are non digital too :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum. If you do a search you will find some great reviews on the many styli that are available

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note of caution. The technology used by digital pens and that used for the capacitive iPad screen are completely different. While you can certainly use a stylus for the same generic purpose as a digital pen, you may find (a) that the stylus does not have nearly the same level of precision or functionality as the digital pen and (b) that you may have challenges translating the output of a note taking app into a form acceptable to the system you're putting notes in.

In short, you have some research and experimentation ahead of you.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Joe Dawson. Welcome to the forum. Yesterday, another member posted a thread sharing his experience with the iPad2 and how it has enhanced his daily training routine to become a physician. You might want to discuss this matter with him. Here is a link to the thread. As other posters have replied, a digital pen does not work with the iPad technology. I think Apple's intent was to provide you with a piece of personal technology that only needs you (using your fingers) on the iPad to have a good and worthwhile relationship. A lot of people and manufacturers believe otherwise. Check out this thread:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/47906-medical-students-perspective-using-ipad2.html

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Hi there,
I'm lost now.
Are we saying that a "pen" may work on one sort of software on an iPad 2 but that the same "pen" won't work on a second type of software?
That sounds odd. It's almost like saying that my fork will pick up a piece of steak but not a piece of broccoli.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
5teve said:
Hi there,
I'm lost now.
Are we saying that a "pen" may work on one sort of software on an iPad 2 but that the same "pen" won't work on a second type of software?
That sounds odd. It's almost like saying that my fork will pick up a piece of steak but not a piece of broccoli.

A digital pen doesn't work at all on an iPad, you will need a Stylus or just your finger. jsh1120 has done many reviews on the different Styli available
I also saw the same review that Mattlm is speaking about too, from a trainee Doctor and how he uses his iPad with his training. It may be an interesting and helpful thread for you.

Oops, thought you were the OP

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to use a digital pen directly with the iPad, however I've read of a service for LiveScribe that uploads your digital pen recording to the net, and can then be downloaded and viewed on the iPad. It's called Pencast. Now if only the pen only had a wi-fi connection so it could upload without a computer.

And before you ask, no, there is no way (that I know of) to connect any digital pen directly to the iPad's port and use it to upload the files.

OP
J

joedawson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I don't know of any way to use a digital pen directly with the iPad, however I've read of a service for LiveScribe that uploads your digital pen recording to the net, and can then be downloaded and viewed on the iPad. It's called Pencast. Now if only the pen only had a wi-fi connection so it could upload without a computer.

And before you ask, no, there is no way (that I know of) to connect any digital pen directly to the iPad's port and use it to upload the files.

Thank you for all your advice
I thought it would be a simple matter to use a digital pen, butnwill purchase a stylusntonsee if it works
This should be an inexpensive route

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all your advice
I thought it would be a simple matter to use a digital pen, butnwill purchase a stylusntonsee if it works
This should be an inexpensive route

Joe,

You can get a relatively cheap stylus via Amazon or a B&M retailer such as Best Buy. These usually have a rubber tip shaped like a ball half embedded in the shaft. Some people find them acceptable, many do not. They're largely fine for "pushing buttons", i.e. selecting an app on the screen or pushing the power button on the face of the iPad. Such styluses are less acceptable (to many people) for handwriting and sketching. That's because (a) they tend to obscure the precise contact point of the stylus on the screen and (b) the rubber tips tend to "drag" unpredictably when writing/sketching.

More expensive styluses use a variety of designs to overcome these problems. The iFaraday styluses (iFaraday.com) use a conductive fabric over a substrate (soft to firm depending on the model) that largely eliminates drag. The tip is somewhat smaller than many of its competitors making it easier to see what you're writing. The Jot styluses from Adonit have a different design: a tiny ball tip with a transparent plastic "collar" that contacts the screen. This makes it even easier to identify the contact point. However, the Jot stylus also makes a clicking sound when it's placed on the screen that annoys some people and has a tendency depending on one's writing style to fail to register short strokes.

Then there's the question of the "feel" of a stylus. Some mimic the feel of a ball point or fountain pen. Others are more like small diameter "sticks." The Wacom stylus is like a very fat pencil.

Whatever stylus you choose, be prepared to apply the same advice you'd get if you asked how to get to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice, practice. You won't find a stylus that makes writing on the iPad identical to writing on a piece of paper. In fact, you won't find one that comes as close to that experience as a digital pen. Whatever stylus you choose, be prepared to invest some effort in learning how to use it.

OP
J

joedawson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Joe,

You can get a relatively cheap stylus via Amazon or a B&M retailer such as Best Buy. These usually have a rubber tip shaped like a ball half embedded in the shaft. Some people find them acceptable, many do not. They're largely fine for "pushing buttons", i.e. selecting an app on the screen or pushing the power button on the face of the iPad. Such styluses are less acceptable (to many people) for handwriting and sketching. That's because (a) they tend to obscure the precise contact point of the stylus on the screen and (b) the rubber tips tend to "drag" unpredictably when writing/sketching.

More expensive styluses use a variety of designs to overcome these problems. The iFaraday styluses (iFaraday.com) use a conductive fabric over a substrate (soft to firm depending on the model) that largely eliminates drag. The tip is somewhat smaller than many of its competitors making it easier to see what you're writing. The Jot styluses from Adonit have a different design: a tiny ball tip with a transparent plastic "collar" that contacts the screen. This makes it even easier to identify the contact point. However, the Jot stylus also makes a clicking sound when it's placed on the screen that annoys some people and has a tendency depending on one's writing style to fail to register short strokes.

Then there's the question of the "feel" of a stylus. Some mimic the feel of a ball point or fountain pen. Others are more like small diameter "sticks." The Wacom stylus is like a very fat pencil.

Whatever stylus you choose, be prepared to apply the same advice you'd get if you asked how to get to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice, practice. You won't find a stylus that makes writing on the iPad identical to writing on a piece of paper. In fact, you won't find one that comes as close to that experience as a digital pen. Whatever stylus you choose, be prepared to invest some effort in learning how to use it.

Thank you,
This is very helpful
Think I'll try jthe ot and then the Faraday, as I would like to develop the ability to write my notes, but suspect I may have to await an advance in the technology!
Once again
Many thanks for your expert advice,
Joe

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
A digital pen doesn't work at all on an iPad, you will need a Stylus or just your finger. jsh1120 has done many reviews on the different Styli available
I also saw the same review that Mattlm is speaking about too, from a trainee Doctor and how he uses his iPad with his training. It may be an interesting and helpful thread for you.

I didn't say anything about a Digital pen. I said "pen" in inverted commas meaning anything that can be used to write on a screen. A stylus, a cocktail stick or even a finger. The point is that, as good as you guys are at answering questions, you seem to have by-passed that one about a "pen" working on one app but not on another app.
Cheers,
Steve

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
leelai said:

5teve said:
I didn't say anything about a Digital pen. I said "pen" in inverted commas meaning anything that can be used to write on a screen. A stylus, a cocktail stick or even a finger. The point is that, as good as you guys are at answering questions, you seem to have by-passed that one about a "pen" working on one app but not on another app.
Cheers,
Steve

Yes, I realized my mistake Steve, sorry. That's why I put in the bottom sentence. 'oops thought you were the OP'

cocod2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a Pogo stylus and love it....got it on ebay.... but amazon.com or amazon.ca sells them too

Most reactions

Latest posts