What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did You Have Problems with iOS 4.2 Update?

Did You Have Problems with the iOS 4.2 Update?

• Total voters

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you have problems during the iOS 4.2 update or was it smooth sailing?

My only problem was the backup took forever. I should have deleted my apps that store date in advance (VLC and GoodReader, for example) .

Please don't post problems here, this is for general experiences working problem resolutions. Do a forum search and post in an existing thread to get help for problems that aren't solved here.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Horrible experience. My Gf's iPad is now back to stock 4.2 because no matter what I did I couldn't get it to restore the data that was on there and still come back to the home screen. It would restore then go to the progress bar with the apple on top and freeze up. iTunes would register all the data as being there and even act as if it were syncing like normal then it would freeze up. Holding home and power only brought it back to the progress bar screen which would freeze at exactly the same place every time.

The only thing I could do was run Blackra1n to get it into DFU and restore again.

After retrying 3 times, reinstalling iTunes 3 times, reinstalling windows twice and finally trying to put the backup on my Mac and try nothing worked. So now its back to scratch!! I'm really pissed!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Weird. I went home last night, plugged my iPad into my laptop and did a sync (still with 3.2.2) to get a current backup and make sure everything was up to date. After that, I did the upgrade to 4.2.1 and everything took about 20-25 minutes to run (download and install and reboot of the iPad) when it finally came back up as 4.2.1.

I had never jailbroken my iPad (and don't plan on it - I have yet to need to do something I can't with iOS) so I have a feeling that was part of the success.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All good here.... Took about 10min for the whole thing to finish! Rockin 4.2.1 :):D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weird. I went home last night, plugged my iPad into my laptop and did a sync (still with 3.2.2) to get a current backup and make sure everything was up to date. After that, I did the upgrade to 4.2.1 and everything took about 20-25 minutes to run (download and install and reboot of the iPad) when it finally came back up as 4.2.1.

I had never jailbroken my iPad (and don't plan on it - I have yet to need to do something I can't with iOS) so I have a feeling that was part of the success.

Nope, hers was stock 3.2.2.

Look around the apple forum..there are many many other people experiencing the same thing.

Apple - Support - Discussions - 4.2.1 stops and freezes my iPad it wont ...

5 pages worth now.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy Peasy at the C4 garage! I am thinking of trading in my American passport for one from Ireland!

I also upgraded my wife's 2nd generation iPod Touch that already had 4.1. The part that sucks is that it won't do multi-tasking, but it will do folders.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Nope, hers was stock 3.2.2.

Look around the apple forum..there are many many other people experiencing the same thing.

Apple - Support - Discussions - 4.2.1 stops and freezes my iPad it wont ...

5 pages worth now.

I don't know what to tell you. I do wonder, based off the link you posted, just how many were jailbroken in that list. I have jailbroken a couple touches for my friends and they have never played nicely with updates after (the ipods.) For a vanilla 3.2.2 not to take the update doesnt make sense.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update went smoothly but the forced backup took 9 hours. Last time I backed up it took a couple of days. Something Apple really needs to fix.

4.2.1 is very smooth and I like the ability to quick switch Apps.

gman60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update went fine until my Vista PC froze up solid. The pad was halfway through the update. I unplugged my iPad and held down both buttons for ten seconds, it beeped and the apple popped up, restarted my PC and once iTunes opened I plugged it back in and it went great, about 25 minutes for everything after the problem. Nothing lost, everything works like it should. I'm happy now.:)

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems on my end. Took about 20 minutes to d/l and 15 to install.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my post on another thread:

I have now tried to download 4.2 3x. It appears to be downloading fine all the way to the end....551.4MB worth of download and then I get this error message:

"The software for the Ipad was corrupted during download. Disconnect & reconnect and then try again.blah blah blah."

I try again and get the same message. What'sup with this & more important what do I do about it?

Thanks.
CM

Last edited:

Ogilvy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally hosed my iPad

I backed up my iPad all last night (took forever) then after work this evening i DL'd and installed the update 4.2

After a few minutes I received an error message saying "couldn't update the iPad" or something like that

Now i have to completely restore the iPad so I guess I'm going to lose everything on there.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the backup backed everything up.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I backed up my iPad all last night (took forever) then after work this evening i DL'd and installed the update 4.2

After a few minutes I received an error message saying "couldn't update the iPad" or something like that

Now i have to completely restore the iPad so I guess I'm going to lose everything on there.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the backup backed everything up.

As a last resort, you should check your Recycle Bin for your old back-up (3.2.2). If necessary, you can use that to go back to the old OS using iTunes. You would go to the Summary screen, press Shift while you click the Restore button, and then select the old restore file. Restore will run and put you back to your last working 3.2.2 config. A few people have used this to remove 4.2.1 because they don't like it.

sfarringto1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine went very easy and I actually did it remotely with team viewer. I was watching the football game while doing it via my iPhone. I really am digging this app ( thanks to a thread here ). Took about 2 hours total with adding new movies and music from a computer switch over the day before.

Most reactions

Latest posts