What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the iPad help accelerate the demise of the Macbook?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I was quite sad when I heard the news that the Apple Macbook series was no more. The Macbook represented a great machine at a great price point. It had enough hard drive space to be used as a primary machine. The display size was decent and usable... much better then an 11" screen and it was generally a workhorse. You could upgrade the RAM and HD quite easily, so it was a great starting point for someone on a budget just trying to get into an Apple computer.

Apparently, Apple disagreed. You now have 2 choices at that price point. Buy a Macbook Air and sacrifice screen size and hard drive space for faster processor, lighter weight and sleeker design. Or, you can make do with a Tablet, the iPad. I'm not a big fan of typing on the Apple iPad (or any tablet or small device for that matter) so I don't see college kids running out to buy an iPad instead of a Laptop computer. Nor do I see a college kid ponying up $1300 for a well equipped Macbook Air that would compete with the Macbook in value.

Unfortunately, it's not up to me :) We must all give a moment of silence for our fallen friend that's been so valuable to us over the years and probably made die-hard Apple fans who eventually upgraded to other products. We salute you Apple Macbook and we hope to see you return again someday down the road.

(Source: Apple Forum - Mac Forum - Did the iPad help accelerate the demise of the Macbook?)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on the apple store today and never noticed......and I really love my MacBook......even if my iPad is causing it to collect dust!

The Archangel

jedi5diah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For pple like us who are not using hungry powered softwares, laptops are slowly becoming obsolete. I do use Mac for work, purely for work and a htpc for entertainment and a iPad for fast surfing and social networking.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I was quite sad when I heard the news that the Apple Macbook series was no more. The Macbook represented a great machine at a great price point. It had enough hard drive space to be used as a primary machine. The display size was decent and usable... much better then an 11" screen and it was generally a workhorse. You could upgrade the RAM and HD quite easily, so it was a great starting point for someone on a budget just trying to get into an Apple computer.

Apparently, Apple disagreed. You now have 2 choices at that price point. Buy a Macbook Air and sacrifice screen size and hard drive space for faster processor, lighter weight and sleeker design. Or, you can make do with a Tablet, the iPad. I'm not a big fan of typing on the Apple iPad (or any tablet or small device for that matter) so I don't see college kids running out to buy an iPad instead of a Laptop computer. Nor do I see a college kid ponying up $1300 for a well equipped Macbook Air that would compete with the Macbook in value.

Unfortunately, it's not up to me :) We must all give a moment of silence for our fallen friend that's been so valuable to us over the years and probably made die-hard Apple fans who eventually upgraded to other products. We salute you Apple Macbook and we hope to see you return again someday down the road.

(Source: Apple Forum - Mac Forum - Did the iPad help accelerate the demise of the Macbook?)

you didnt mention the gorgeous macbook pro,theres another choice

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting marketing choices on Apple's part. It appears they've decided that the iPad is their "entry level" laptop. No doubt reading the writing on the wall about soft laptop sales (and the cannibalization of their own offerings.)

It may be a good decision but it carries a lot of risk. It assumes, for example, that unless solid state storage prices and capacity decline deeply and quickly, iCloud will have to serve for everything beyond minimal requirements. And it assumes that iOS can be stretched to meet the needs of "entry level" laptop users.

Furthermore, even an "entry level" laptop needs a keyboard. (Though a giant size iPod Touch does not.) Adding another $100-$200 to the iPad's price begins to be a pricey proposition. And that assumes extending the iPad's capabilities won't increase the price. Though hardly perfect, the ASUS Transformer begins to look like the evolutionary direction of the iPad. Unless, of course, Apple decides to cede that portion of the market to lower priced alternatives. The iPad is probably a better system right now. Not clear that that will be the case in another year.

The new Mac Air is out there, of course. But it's being pitched at a somewhat different market niche. A thousand dollar price tag may look good to a highly mobile, style conscious professional but it's a hefty price compared to many "entry level" PC's and "entry level" users. And that's for the lower spec, smaller version of the MA.

So if the iPad falls short of an "entry level" user's requirements the question becomes whether the MA is a reasonable alternative to a host of sub $1000 PC's with comparable or better specs and functionality. Not at all clear (to me at least) that Apple wins in that comparison.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
White plastic case Macbook, discontinued

Your post, while pleading to stay with old designs completely misses the business end of improving the lot of portable laptops.

Most students don't need a large hard drive ... they want lightweight and long battery life ... they have to carry it all over the place. Better performance greatly improves the performance.

What you are probably crying for is the optical drive ... probably for playing movies from DVD. You might have a legitimate point here.

But life moves on. iCloud will likely solve the movie problem except for hackers who will cry foul for ever.

One thing in life, change happens ... all you can really do is adjust and accept and move on. FWIW

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
White plastic case Macbook, discontinued

Your post, while pleading to stay with old designs completely misses the business end of improving the lot of portable laptops.

Most students don't need a large hard drive ... they want lightweight and long battery life ... they have to carry it all over the place. Better performance greatly improves our experience.

What you are probably crying for is the optical drive ... probably for playing movies from DVD. You might have a legitimate point here.

But life moves on. iCloud will likely solve the movie problem except for hackers who will cry foul for ever.

One thing in life, change happens ... all you can really do is adjust and accept and move on. FWIW

Most reactions