What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the iPad 4 announcement surprise you?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I was completely caught off guard by the iPad 4 announcement! It's very unlike Apple to refresh a product so soon after the last model. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it did and if I had just bought an iPad 3 and past the return period I'd be a little po'd right now.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was very surprised myself. Wasn't expecting them to announce the iPad 4, but seems to make sense with nowadays with all of the outside "competition.

Such an exciting year for Apple!! :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
didn't see that coming at all,what a surprise.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple wants to own the tablet market. This is forcing them to get a bit crazy...I think all of the Android competition...and new tablet or phone ever other week...it forced them to update the 2012 iPad ahead of schedule. I had predicted this, but I had I was wrong, but this must been they are feeling a bit shakely in the space.

The iPad 4 is clearly the best tablet in terms of specs right now...so they probably will maintain that lead throughtout 2012. Even google is set to announce a new HD tablet next week, with a higher resolution screen. So Apple has to react. And, since they clearly have the best eco system and app system, they can justify the increase cost of the base models compared to Amazon and Google and Samsung, Lenovo, HP, etc.

If you own a 3, I don't see much of a need to get the 4 so soon. The question should be if you want a mini, in addition to your 3. If you have a 2 or a 1, then the 4 is a good jump. Right in time for Xmas.

Last edited:

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Completely shocked! I was expecting the mini, just not the updated iPad. I do have the latest and although I'm happy for Apple and excited for the Apple community I'm pretty upset that I just purchased this iPad and now we've got a new one already. I waited and didn't get the iPad2 thinking the New iPad was going to be 'it' for a while, now I want the iPad 4...grrrr.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Completely shocked! I was expecting the mini, just not the updated iPad. I do have the latest and although I'm happy for Apple and excited for the Apple community I'm pretty upset that I just purchased this iPad and now we've got a new one already. I waited and didn't get the iPad2 thinking the New iPad was going to be 'it' for a while, now I want the iPad 4...grrrr.

I'm not upset. if it were lighter or had new screen technology, I might be. But it just has faster graphic and cpu, plus the facetime HD camera and lightning connector, plus better LTE in the UK....most of these features are killer enough to really impact me. Plus, I've had mine since March 19 or whatever day it was released. IF i had bought it in the last two weeks, I return it for a new one. Also, given that apple has switch connectors, I think it is a smart move to stop selling the old iPad 3 so that all these new customers wouldn't have to obsolete cables. In a way, they sort of had to do this with the iPad 3. How could they keep selling obsolete cables?

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPhone5 wi the new cable. I think it's more of just wanting the new one since I had waited and skipped the iPad for something new. I love my 'New iPad' and have no complaints ... just got the bug for the new one.

uker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it did. I got the "new" iPad when it was released six months ago.

Now Apple comes out with a "new improved" model?

Feeling pretty abused by Apple right now.

They knew six months ago that they were going to release the "4" today.

Yes, I expect technology to move forward and new models to replace the old. But six months?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was surprised by the sheer multitudinous Apple objet d'art released today, I was thinking iPad Mini and MacBook.......but that stunning looking iMac has stirred up my cravings again.....the Mac Mini makes me think I have some spare space under my TV.....and the 4, please Mr Bank Manager, I didn't mean to do it, honestly, it was that Tim Cook that made me!

The Archangel

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely shocked. I mean, it makes sense to get on the once a year holiday cycle instead of the March one they have been on, but still, sitting here with a 3 I just got no more than 2 months ago, it sorta sucks since it was nearly a G I dropped buying it. Once a year was bad enough, what is it now going to be 6 month cycles?
Will I sell my 3? No. But I am a bit cheezed. But I got caught up in the"must upgrade" mentality. Well, no more. Until mine dies, I no longer upgrade. No incentive to. In 6 mos, they'll be a better faster one anyways.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am curious what Apple is planning to do with the remaining stock of the now "old" New iPads (make sense? lol), seeing as they have removed it from the website. Considering the iPad 2 still costs $399, I wonder if they will even try to sell them.

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
uker said:
Yes, it did. I got the "new" iPad when it was released six months ago.

Now Apple comes out with a "new improved" model?

Feeling pretty abused by Apple right now.

They knew six months ago that they were going to release the "4" today.

Yes, I expect technology to move forward and new models to replace the old. But six months?

Agreed!

Most reactions

Latest posts