What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictation and Siri

Kevin43

iPF Novice
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
283
Reaction score
4
Location
Boston
Hi I am thinking on getting the iPad mini for my Nephew for Christmas. Can anyone Please tell me does it have Dictation and Siri on it or not? Thank you
 

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Joined
Dec 22, 2010
Messages
502
Reaction score
17
Kevin43 said:
Hi I am thinking on getting the iPad mini for my Nephew for Christmas. Can anyone Please tell me does it have Dictation and Siri on it or not? Thank you

Indeed it does have both
 

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
446
And Siri is awesome on the iPad mini. I wasn't expecting Siri when I bought my mini but she's there.
 

lisa22

iPF Noob
Joined
Dec 8, 2012
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
ardchoille said:
And Siri is awesome on the iPad mini. I wasn't expecting Siri when I bought my mini but she's there.

Mine is a "he" with kind of a James Bond accent. He calls me "my darling".
 

n4uau

iPF Novice
Joined
Nov 19, 2012
Messages
348
Reaction score
38
Location
United States
I am finding I am doing my email more and more from the ipad mini and using SIRI. She does very well indeed. She knows common punctuation, smiley, frownie, 'new line', 'new paragraph' and probably a lot more! ANYONE got a full list?
 

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
112
I am finding I am doing my email more and more from the ipad mini and using SIRI. She does very well indeed. She knows common punctuation, smiley, frownie, 'new line', 'new paragraph' and probably a lot more! ANYONE got a full list?

I haven't use Siri yet lol!!! Was never excited by it. I will someday, I guess ...


Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
 

lisa22

iPF Noob
Joined
Dec 8, 2012
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
I haven't use Siri yet lol!!! Was never excited by it. I will someday, I guess ...

It needs to get a little better at voice recognition. The voice recognition for email and other keyboard functions is excellent, yet Siri is not quite as good.
 

Deanp

iPF Noob
Joined
Dec 13, 2012
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
NZ
I haven't use Siri yet lol!!! Was never excited by it. I will someday, I guess ...

It needs to get a little better at voice recognition. The voice recognition for email and other keyboard functions is excellent, yet Siri is not quite as good.
It will get better over time as you use it.

D
 
Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
732
Reaction score
10
Location
Virginia, USA
My experience with Siri has been pretty abysmal both with my iPhone 5 and my mini pad. Siri rarely knows what I am asking and often offers to give me a list on the phone in Safari - not especially useful at 65 MPH and you just wanted to know who won the game. While it is a good idea, the failure rate remains alarmingly high. Dictation is a stitch as well, almost as entertaining as the automatic word completion when you are typing. Wrong more often than right. Wife gave it up on her iPhone 4S for the same reasons.

Almost but not quite as disappointing as the new Maps app.
 

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
112
Wolfpuppies3 said:
My experience with Siri has been pretty abysmal both with my iPhone 5 and my mini pad. Siri rarely knows what I am asking and often offers to give me a list on the phone in Safari - not especially useful at 65 MPH and you just wanted to know who won the game. While it is a good idea, the failure rate remains alarmingly high. Dictation is a stitch as well, almost as entertaining as the automatic word completion when you are typing. Wrong more often than right. Wife gave it up on her iPhone 4S for the same reasons.

Almost but not quite as disappointing as the new Maps app.

So all the hype about Siri is just that, hype...

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
 

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
6,415
Reaction score
435
Location
SC
This is a test of the dictation feature of the iPad mini.

That first sentence went pretty well.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Well that is 343.

Ha ha.

Maybe some people have heavy accents. I have noticed that Siri does not like background noise. In a quiet room it works better.

This is been a test of the Siri broadcast system.

Blah blah blah.
 

MR1

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Location
CA USA
We haven't tried Siri yet on my wife's three day old Mini. I do have Google search on my IPhone4 and Ipad2. It has voice input and works amazingly well. I will compare Siri soon.
 

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
112
AQ_OC said:
This is a test of the dictation feature of the iPad mini.

That first sentence went pretty well.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Well that is 343.

Ha ha.

Maybe some people have heavy accents. I have noticed that Siri does not like background noise. In a quiet room it works better.

This is been a test of the Siri broadcast system.

Blah blah blah.

Grammar school - fox sentence.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
 

fafrost

iPF Noob
Joined
Dec 17, 2012
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I am wondering if any physicians have used the dictation mode on their Ipad with any electronic health records successfully?
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top