What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictate email

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone else's iPad has a microphone icon on the keyboard when he opens up a new email to write. It allows him to dictate an email without using things like Dragon. I don't have that icon available when I do a new message. The icon is between the space bar and the ?123 button in the left.

How can I get that feature? He said it was there when he got his iPad, happens to be the new iPad (3).

Thanks

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
This is a feature of the New iPad so it isn't available on the iPad 2.

The Archangel

Good morning Gabriel,

I see this question posed by literally hundreds of folks in various Mac communities.

While we realize the native dictation function is exclusive to ipad3 I, and many others, wonder aloud why Apple would not roll this function out as an enhancement to iOS. I find it difficult to believe that hardware specific to ipad3 precludes native dictation from running on older iPads, especially considering that third party vendors are selling dictation apps for the older iPads. I wonder if in fact this is the reason, lost revenues for the Dragons of the world.....

Do you know of any specific hardware reason why the function is only available on ipad3 ?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Good morning Gabriel,

I see this question posed by literally hundreds of folks in various Mac communities.

While we realize the native dictation function is exclusive to ipad3 I, and many others, wonder aloud why Apple would not roll this function out as an enhancement to iOS. I find it difficult to believe that hardware specific to ipad3 precludes native dictation from running on older iPads, especially considering that third party vendors are selling dictation apps for the older iPads. I wonder if in fact this is the reason, lost revenues for the Dragons of the world.....

Do you know of any specific hardware reason why the function is only available on ipad3 ?

I have no idea but something in the back of my miss-wired mind tells me that I did see something somewhere which explained it......I only wish that I could remember where!

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It ties into the same servers and services as Siri. Best guesses I've heard are that it is to;

1) Limit the load on the servers while Siri (and releated services) are still in beta. Yes, Siri is in beta.
2) Limit the services to hardware that will work best.
3) Add an incentive to upgrade. (probably the least important to Apple but will get the most press and griping)

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Found a neat little app called the vDictation. It's for the iPad, costs presently $.99. You can do your dictation and then It will bring up options, in one of the options is e-mail also Facebook, Twitter and others. But the interesting thing is you can also copy the dictation, and then paste it anywhere, for example that's what I did here. Really neat.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

bonnie7168

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cruiser111 said:
Found a neat little app called the vDictation. It's for the iPad, costs presently $.99. You can do your dictation and then It will bring up options, in one of the options is e-mail also Facebook, Twitter and others. But the interesting thing is you can also copy the dictation, and then paste it anywhere, for example that's what I did here. Really neat.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I can't find it on iTunes, any suggestions?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
grzegorz732 said:
Witam czy jest ktos kto pisze w języku polskim ?

Nie piszę w języku polskim.Mogę użyć google tłumaczyć zrozumieć i odpowiedzieć na pytania.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts