What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DFU Loop, Tethered Boot working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesome71717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently stuck with an iPad that has a DFU loop. I am able to restore the firmware with PWNED DFU mode and TinyUmbrella but afterwards it still has the loop.

I can boot it tethered with redsnow, but I cannot figure out how to fix the loop...

( I have another working iPad on hand, could I possibly transfer the fs to this one? )

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you mean a recovery loop. DFU loop is not possible unless there is a hardware failure.

If you are stuck in a recovery loop (where the screen shows the "connect to iTunes" screen), you should download and use TinyUmbrella's "Exit Recovery" option.

If the device still re-enters recovery after this, you need to restore the firmware because the file system is corrupt.

If the device still re-enters recovery after this, you have a hardware fault on the iPad flash memory and there is pretty much nothing you can do other than return it.

Hope that helps.

OP
A

awesome71717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just baffles me, how am I able to boot into i OS (tethered) if the system is in a DFU Loop (it always boots in DFU mode, not recovery) (iTunes and JB tools can put it into recovery, but it only returns to DFU)

I highly doubt there's a hardware failure though as this iPad was working fine today. I can live with a tethered iPad but it doesn't make any sense why it won't boot.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to ask. How do you know it is DFU mode? What is shown on the screen?

OP
A

awesome71717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's Black. The log in TinyUmbrella also says: "07/22/2011 20:24:54.539 DFU Device connected" every time I connect it (even after rebooting it)

I can use it though with "Just boot tethered right now" in redsn0w 0.9.6rc16
I'm using fw 4.3.3.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I am stumped. Everything I know about iDevices which has been learnt over the last 4 years is in tatters :(

(kidding)

AFAIK, there is only one way to force a DFU loop on an iDevice as described in this post - DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki

There should be absolutely no way your iPad ended up in this state, and a clean restore should fix it. The only reasonable assessment I can make is that the hardware is now at fault, so is corrupting the appropriate area EVERY time. Seems improbable, but nothing is impossible.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chip in? If not, I think you should consider a return / replacement... Sorry.

OP
A

awesome71717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm as stumped as you are. I'm a programmer and I still can't figure out why this is happening. That's funny, deliberate DFU sabotage. Maybe I should wear the battery down to see if there's a bad charge in the iPad somewhere. Thanks for the help.

ApplePro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dnt know if this works on a ipad but this worked fine for me on iPhone
1. You have to downgrade to stock 4.1 without pwned dfu mode
2. You get error 1015
3. Click EXIT RECOVERY in tiny umbrella
4. Run Greenpois0n
5. Run Redsnow dont install cydia cause ur gonna get it from greenpois0n
6.Enjoy

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ApplePro said:
I dnt know if this works on a ipad but this worked fine for me on iPhone
1. You have to downgrade to stock 4.1 without pwned dfu mode
2. You get error 1015
3. Click EXIT RECOVERY in tiny umbrella
4. Run Greenpois0n
5. Run Redsnow dont install cydia cause ur gonna get it from greenpois0n
6.Enjoy

I see you have posted this in several places. FYI. 4.1 is not a firmware suitable for the iPad. Our device started it's 4.x journey at 4.2.1.

OP
A

awesome71717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, I just updated it to the official 4.3.4. It works fine now. My other iPad jb with 4.3.3 is my main one now. You are one dedicated mod, I'm glad to see people actually taking care of these forums, unlike many others. Feel free to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts