What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desktop Mac to Support my iPad

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was a mac enthuiast back in the days of the 128k, Fat Mac, etc, but for a variety of reasons I had to wipe out and convert to Windows based machines.

Now I am the fond owner of an iPad, which has become my number one go-to device.

But I do have a problem because my desktop is a Toshiba (actually a laptop, but with large monitor, etc.).

I use Good Reader a lot for reading very large pdf files, often around a thousand pages. This makes turning pages and other operations pretty slow. The help facility on Good Reader says that this can be sped up a lot if I first open a document in a Mac and then save it and transfer it to the iPad.

Long story, now the brief question:I am thinking of buying a used Mac just for this job. Can anyone tell me how new an OS I need to run? I am assuming that the older it is, the less expensive it will be.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

lok222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was a mac enthuiast back in the days of the 128k, Fat Mac, etc, but for a variety of reasons I had to wipe out and convert to Windows based machines.

Now I am the fond owner of an iPad, which has become my number one go-to device.

But I do have a problem because my desktop is a Toshiba (actually a laptop, but with large monitor, etc.).

I use Good Reader a lot for reading very large pdf files, often around a thousand pages. This makes turning pages and other operations pretty slow. The help facility on Good Reader says that this can be sped up a lot if I first open a document in a Mac and then save it and transfer it to the iPad.

Long story, now the brief question:I am thinking of buying a used Mac just for this job. Can anyone tell me how new an OS I need to run? I am assuming that the older it is, the less expensive it will be.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

let me say.. not the cheapest by ANY means... but the IMAC is SOOOOO nice!

i am a network engineer and i run windows networks but at home.. it's all Apple

the Big screen IMAC is SOO sweet! plus, if you NEED to use windows, i just run it from the mac!

the 27" screen looks amazing

i can vpn in and rdp to my 2k8 servers and have 4 of them open at once on my big screen.. it really is the way to go!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. I wouldn't think that would make big a difference.

They are probably talking about the Preview app in Mac OS X. It is pretty handy. Any intel Mac from the last 4 years should do the job. If you have a spare USB keyboard and monitor laying around the Mac mini will do what you want for the least cost. A MacBook would be my next choice for cheap and out of the way. As long as it has a dual core Intel you'll be able to upgrade it to the latest OS if needed, but anything 10.5 or later will probably be enough to start with.

I have to agree with lok222 about the beauty of the iMac though. I love my 27" iMac.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you would need to get a Mac just for this.

When you say you are opening a PDF file on your iPad are you viewing it from the internet? Or do you have the file downloaded on to your iPad?
Transferring a file from a Windows machine or Mac should do the same thing.

Most reactions

Latest posts